450X too much bike?

Intermediate rider..looking at a used crf450X in very good condition. Have ridden TTR250's for the last year. Is this a foolish step up? I do mostly trail/logging roads in the CA Sierra's with my kids.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I'm 5'5", 150 lbs., and have been riding a 2009 Yamaha WR-250F for two years (I still own and ride that bike).

Compared to the WR, my new (to me) 2009 CRF-450X feels like a bike with more mass and with an abundance of power and torque.

On the trail loop I ride, I have to say that the WR is the better-balanced bike of the two because it has enough power (very good spread of power, actually) combined with great suspension and a light-weight feel.

However, I really enjoy the CRF-450X on the same trail loop due to what it does best:

Make some serious power.

More than what is needed, and that's what makes it fun for me.

Even though it feels heavier due to that big lump of an engine churning away between your ankles, it's not unmanagable.

The handling, while heavier-feeling, is still good, the suspension is good, the ergonomics are good, everything works well, the bike is extremely stable in a straight line (very important to me), and after this past Sunday's ride on it, I was wishing for more daylight and fuel. ?

Basically, I feel that as long as you can ride in at least an average manner, you can handle the bike.

If your kids are small/young and riding at a slow pace, you will only scratch the surface of the performance on tap, but, if you can take the bike out by yourself once in a while, it just may be a good choice for you. ?

I progressed from a RM 250 to a 450 R (way to much bike for me) to a 05 450 X rejetted the carb 45/165 installed one of those tunable throttle tubes (cant remember brand) to the slowest cam. This smoothed out the power even more than it was stock (very acceptable). I have let friends ride it and the most common comment is the motor feels almost electric (for some to smooth). I feel there is more power there than I need for the tight trails in Ohio that I ride. With the e start and the seemingly endless aftermarket parts available I believe its a smart choice for the do it all bike. I ride w/ my 11 yr old as well as (try) to keep up with my faster friends. By the way I broke my back in 02 and had a heart attack in 09 thats how easy this bike is to ride

I was in the same boat about 4 months ago when I picked up an '06 from an older rider that was in perfect condition for $2700 bucks. I would consider myself a novice/intermeddiate rider and after a couple of rides you'll get used to it like anything else. Forgiving bike but enough power when you need it.

If the kids are on smaller bikes (less than 150cc) I would just keep riding the TTR. The X does not like to putt putt around. I have more fun on a smaller bike if I am riding with kids.

+1 on riding with the kids on the TT.

Buy the X if you are going to start riding with faster riders.

Find a friend with a XR650. Pick it up a couple times and you'll appreciate the 450x. ;0)

Find another friend with a DR650 and try even picking it up at all....then find a friend with a 600 Transalp, and try to even roll the damn thing....

...then there's this thing called the NSU Bison...2000cc single....!

nsu-motorcycle-2.jpg

Power is a blast, punn intended. However I always seem to have more fun in trails with less motor. Also one point many miss is the plushness of suspension with smaller motor. It simply doesnt load up the suspension like the big motor. Reguarless of yor throttle controll u simply cannot get the 450 to be as plush a ride as the smaller motor bikes. I race a 450 but when we are foolin around i like the 250 better. If you want more bike maybe consider a 250F.