Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250L May have to replace the old XR250L

Don't get your hopes up. Here's more info:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/tokyo-honda-crf250l/19469.html

"Forget the old air-cooled 223cc single that used to carry that name, this is a road-going enduro-style bike that carries the same 22bhp engine as the new CBR250R. Wrapped in styling that predicts the look of the next-generation CRF motocrossers, the CRF250L uses a relatively straightforward steel chassis to keep costs down but looks as exotic as the full-on competition bikes that it's designed to mimic."

From hilslamer in ADVrider about the CBR250R engine:

"That engine family never came to the US in any Honda motorcycle, and was nothing more(when sold abroad) than a liquid-cooled, DOHC cam version of the venerable but age-old air-cooled SOHC RFVC design that did come into the states as the XR and XRL lineup for ~twenty years."

As noted in the Shortypants Thread, the bike will be porky and slow, but you'll look stylish and fast when you sit on it.

43406.jpg

There is NO indication that it will be brought to the US; it's probably a JDM bike (The term Japanese domestic market (JDM) refers to the local market in Japan).

Edited by ramz

With that low HP, keep it over there! Need something close to 28 just to keep in line with other DS in the class. Now give it a class leading 35HP from the release and have all the others DS playing catch-up.

You have to remember that for most of the rest of the world this bike is transportation, we the "TT'ers" are looking mostly for toys.

Yes it would be a little off the mark for most of the dual sport market in the USA but with a little work (cams, bore kit, pipe, remapped EFI etc...) it may be a good entry level bike and alternate to buying a $9000.00+ KTM.

+With the street bike based CBR motor you may never have to buy valves.

KTM doesn't have a 250 class DS. Now a WR250X (?) is $7000 and comes with 27hp. Husky TE250 is $7900 and has 30hp. So at the expected price of $7000, add in the power parts and your at the price of the others and I bet still under HP. Either way I wish Honda would enter this DS market with a good performing bike. US standard performing bike!

Just wanted to post these pics in case the url goes down. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hopefully these will make it state side in a couple of years.

crf250l4.jpg

crf250l3.jpg

crf250l2.jpg

crf250l.jpg

I love Hondas and that 250L looks alright, but I bet it's 300lbs easy as it sets there. It's definately way more "transportation" than "dirt bike with a plate" :bonk:

It's just frustrating to see the direction they go in with thier models sometimes. I'd love to see a 300-350cc motor that's around 30hp minimum, in a 250X type chassis. A big enough motor so it's not "high strung" but still gives good low end / mid range response and doesn't have to be reved to 10,000+ rpm for the 30hp. I'll just keep dreaming for now I guess. Honda needs to study KTM and thier approach for off road bikes IMO. Not directly copy them, but learn from them.

Don't get your hopes up. Here's more info:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/tokyo-honda-crf250l/19469.html

"Forget the old air-cooled 223cc single that used to carry that name, this is a road-going enduro-style bike that carries the same 22bhp engine as the new CBR250R. Wrapped in styling that predicts the look of the next-generation CRF motocrossers, the CRF250L uses a relatively straightforward steel chassis to keep costs down but looks as exotic as the full-on competition bikes that it's designed to mimic."

From hilslamer in ADVrider about the CBR250R engine:

"That engine family never came to the US in any Honda motorcycle, and was nothing more(when sold abroad) than a liquid-cooled, DOHC cam version of the venerable but age-old air-cooled SOHC RFVC design that did come into the states as the XR and XRL lineup for ~twenty years."

As noted in the Shortypants Thread, the bike will be porky and slow, but you'll look stylish and fast when you sit on it.

43406.jpg

There is NO indication that it will be brought to the US; it's probably a JDM bike (The term Japanese domestic market (JDM) refers to the local market in Japan).

and this is all they can come up with for a 2012 bike and only 22 hp ? look closely at the engine design - reminiscent of the NX.

The 72 XL250 had 18 and weighed 278lbs.

1972 Suzuki TS250J 23 HP 260 lbs.

It's a nice start in the right direction I guess. But would like to see more oumph. Also need to come out with a new big bore dual sport.

I would think Honda could do better than that on a new bike.

Edited by Motosprtman

Keep in mind, this bike will likely be able to be ridden for a substantially larger amount of time before any sort of maintenance / rebuild / valve adjustments are necessary. The Yamaha WR250R definitely gets the nod as far as power is concerned, but this new CRF is also substantially cheaper.

Honda traded outright performance for sort of adequate power, but most for reliability. Whether that's what the average buyer wanted - we shall see. That said, there are other options out there if you want something more powerful.

I wouldn't expect Honda to come out with anything 350ish CCs.. *Maybe* 399, but even that is unlikely. Insurance and inspect tiers for vehicles in Japan are a bit different than they are in the USA. No inspection fees for shaken (pronounced shah-ken) are required for vehicles under 250ccs, as well as significantly less insurance costs. The next tier is 250-400ccs, and then 400 to unlimited ccs. The vast majority of bikes you see in today's Japan are either under 250ccs, or big bore street bikes. Though Japan used to make a ton of killer 400cc street bikes and so on, largely due to those regulations, it just isn't so common these days.

Japanese companies aren't going to make a bike that they can't sell in native Japan, unless that bike is a huge seller abroad. (Think 600cc sportbikes, for example...) That's why it is unlikely we're going to see lots of 400cc bikes anytime soon. (It's also another reason why stuff like the DRZ400 was made, and then remained undeveloped and was not updated... for a significant amount of time.) Especially in these economic times, it's just unlikely...

That is the whole idea, a crf is a good bike, if you want the HP get the "R", this L looks like it may be similar to what the DRZ 250 is, with an updated frame. Something you wouldn't need to change the oil on twice on a day ride. Not for comp and yet looks like it can get the job done if needed. There is a market for low maintenance trail bike that has a plate.

With sales down in Oz by almost 10% but Honda leading they do need to be careful. On the 2010 figures the crf50F out sold all other off-road bikes, is that where the development dollars should go? The DRZ is still way up there in the sales and was chomping on the tail of the CRF250F for market share. Lower power, low maintenance, dual sport, FUN bike. That's what "Joe Average" wants, so he can ride it where ever he wants to go and have fun then ride home. http://tinyurl.com/czkflc6