Sign in to follow this  

XR400 CLutch

How do you know when it is time to change the clutch? My bike started making weird noises when I am engaging the clutch in 1st gear. How long should a clutch last if you only ride 10 times a year on trails?

Normally the clutch starts to slip and can't handle the torque of the motor any more... or, it can start making strange noises. :lol:

Well, whatever the case, changing a clutch is not a difficult job.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the clutch?

What exactly is your problem?

Perc

How long should a clutch last if you only ride 10 times a year on trails?

I'd guess 30 years give or take. Assuming you're not abusing it, have had it adjusted properly and your riding technique hasn't been to feather the clutch a lot when it's not needed.

The use of the proper oil is important too. Have to be careful not to use the "Energy Conserving" labeled oil.

Can you take/post an audio/video clip of this happening?

Low oil can make weird noises from your clutch as well.

That how I know when to add/change oil. When the clutch starts to scream, lol.

How do you know when it is time to change the clutch? My bike started making weird noises when I am engaging the clutch in 1st gear. How long should a clutch last if you only ride 10 times a year on trails?

That is a question of riding style more than anything else. With all the low-end torque that an XR400 has, your clutch should last pretty much forever. There is no need to slip it, however, some insist on flogging the clutch like they are riding a 125, even though it doesn't need it. I'll admit that I like to do that on occasion, although my OEM clutch on my '98 XR4 is still good as new. A typical XR400 clutch should last a lifetime.

What kind of 'weird noises' are you hearing?

JayC

That is a question of riding style more than anything else. With all the low-end torque that an XR400 has, your clutch should last pretty much forever. There is no need to slip it, however, some insist on flogging the clutch like they are riding a 125, even though it doesn't need it. I'll admit that I like to do that on occasion, although my OEM clutch on my '98 XR4 is still good as new. A typical XR400 clutch should last a lifetime.

What kind of 'weird noises' are you hearing?

JayC

I agree about using the clutch. Only on the steepest hillclimbs where I need to keep the wheel spinning.

I have felt it slip a lil when i shift hard from 1st to 2nd. If I full throttle shift, the slipping occurs. I changed my oil not too long ago so I am sure that is fine. Ill check just in case. I already blew this motor up once and had to re-do the whole top end.

I never inspected it when I got the bike. Thats the only problem with buying things used. "Grandpa owned. Never ridden............" yeah right. I'll tear into it for the hell of it. The bike is down for this winter anyways. Not too many places to ride in Chicago.........

I never inspected it when I got the bike. Thats the only problem with buying things used. "Grandpa owned. Never ridden............" yeah right. I'll tear into it for the hell of it. The bike is down for this winter anyways. Not too many places to ride in Chicago.........

Well, there ya go. Drop an extra $50 on plates and you be set for the rest of your life.

JayC