Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250L May have to replace the old XR250L

16 years after loosing there minds in the dual sport world by discontinuing the xr250l. Honda is finally getting serious again. CRF 250L

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/gallery/photo/130_050_Honda/index002.html

Mannnn, that sure is a paarrtteee customized one. I like the look, but I was never into the L's, IMO, they weren't so hot looking and performing back in the day:doh:

The new L uses the cbr250 motor which is different than our X and R engines. It also has a steel frame to keep the cost down. Read heavier and less power, kind of like yamahas DS.

It would be nice if one of the big four built a good Enduro. They are missing a big section of the market with the junk they produce now. Only the orange guys and husky build something with decent parts that's street legal and I'd rather walk than give up my Honda. :lol:

I had a xr400 years ago, and god it was crap:bonk:They can keep the crummy 250:moon:

lol. My 1st bike was an xr100, so you know how I feel about the xr's :lol:

I think theres a damn good reason they discontinued the XR's...

Compared to what we have today, yes they are crap. But they were great bikes for their day. Just change oil every now and then and they would run forever. I had a 86 XR250R that had a little suspension work and a 280 kit. Raced it several times and it held its own in the really snotty stuff. I still have fond memories of racing at Willseyville and passing a ton of riders stuck on some of the nasty hill climes. I got some looks like I was out of my mind at the starting line but none of them would look me in the eye when I beat them to the finish line.

Compared to what we have today, yes they are crap. But they were great bikes for their day. Just change oil every now and then and they would run forever. I had a 86 XR250R that had a little suspension work and a 280 kit. Raced it several times and it held its own in the really snotty stuff. I still have fond memories of racing at Willseyville and passing a ton of riders stuck on some of the nasty hill climes. I got some looks like I was out of my mind at the starting line but none of them would look me in the eye when I beat them to the finish line.

Then you woke up:smirk:

in 85 ktm couldn't keep my ktm alive so I bought a xr350r to complete that years enduro series, still have it, great woods bikes in their day.

so back to the new 250, when will the 1st ones hit the dealers?

great woods bikes in their day.

Wipeing my arse with my older sis best dress was great back in the day.But sh.t gets old.Who new:thumbsup:

Then you woke up:smirk:

Theres one in every crowd! But i'll let it go seeing your from uk and dont have a clue about what racing is like here where there are real mountains.:lol:

Theres one in every crowd! But i'll let it go seeing your from uk and dont have a clue about what racing is like here where there are real mountains.:lol:

:lol:No mountain got boy no,no i dont:lol:But tbh if you class a xr a race bike then either do you:moon::):moon::banghead::moon::cheers:

O and one for luck:moon::smirk:

Think we got sidetracked? :lol: XR's never came with a plate in our country unless it was a 650L which is crap like every other big four bike that comes to the US ready for a plate. XR is a good enduro when set up right but still not street legal out of the crate.

16 years after loosing there minds in the dual sport world by discontinuing the xr250l. Honda is finally getting serious again. CRF 250L

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/gallery/photo/130_050_Honda/index002.html

I've been waiting for Honda to make a CRF250L. I rode Hondas all of my life but a few years ago I wanted a 250 dual sport and Honda didn't offer one. Yamaha made exactly the bike I was looking for so I went with the WR250R. Great bike after you did all the mods. I imagine this will be similiar to Yamaha's.

I've been waiting for Honda to make a CRF250L. I rode Hondas all of my life but a few years ago I wanted a 250 dual sport and Honda didn't offer one. Yamaha made exactly the bike I was looking for so I went with the WR250R. Great bike after you did all the mods. I imagine this will be similiar to Yamaha's.

do u have a 250x? Or have u rode one? And if so, how does it compare to the wr250? In your opinion?? I rode a raines racing wr250 at yamahas demo day at our bike shop. I don't remeber much, (bc I wasn't intrested in a 250 at the time) but I do remeber it rode really well and had great low in power. They had a nice track set up next to the shop with some tight woods stuff, a hill and a straight away...

do u have a 250x? Or have u rode one? And if so, how does it compare to the wr250? In your opinion?? I rode a raines racing wr250 at yamahas demo day at our bike shop. I don't remeber much, (bc I wasn't intrested in a 250 at the time) but I do remeber it rode really well and had great low in power. They had a nice track set up next to the shop with some tight woods stuff, a hill and a straight away...

I had a WR250R (just sold it). I'm assuming you're asking how the WR250R compares to the WR250F. You have to be sure to put the suffixes in when talking about yamaha wr's. They've made 4 different WR 250s. The WR250 (with no suffix letter) was a 2 stroke enduro bike from the 90's modeled after the yz. The WR250F is their current 4 stroke enduro. WR250R is dual sport and WR250X is super-moto (R and X are almost identical).

With that being said the WR250R is kind of soft stock. To make it a good dirt bike you have to get new header/pipe, remap fuel injection, open air box, plus other mods like good knobbies, replacing the big clunky taillight, etc..

I never did any suspension mods but it definitely needs it for hard core off-road riding. For mild trail riding it is fine. After the mods it is a GREAT bike but not as good handling or as powerful as WR250F. It is heavy but you don't notice it too much while riding.

I had a WR250R (just sold it). I'm assuming you're asking how the WR250R compares to the WR250F. You have to be sure to put the suffixes in when talking about yamaha wr's. They've made 4 different WR 250s. The WR250 (with no suffix letter) was a 2 stroke enduro bike from the 90's modeled after the yz. The WR250F is their current 4 stroke enduro. WR250R is dual sport and WR250X is super-moto (R and X are almost identical).

With that being said the WR250R is kind of soft stock. To make it a good dirt bike you have to get new header/pipe, remap fuel injection, open air box, plus other mods like good knobbies, replacing the big clunky taillight, etc..

I never did any suspension mods but it definitely needs it for hard core off-road riding. For mild trail riding it is fine. After the mods it is a GREAT bike but not as good handling or as powerful as WR250F. It is heavy but you don't notice it too much while riding.

I meant how does the Wr250r compare to the crf250x:bonk:... Yea I know about all the WRs, the old 2 stroke one and so on:smirk:, but I was refereeing to the WR250f of today, the one thats comparable to the CRF250x.. I was wondering since your on the 250x forum, I assumed you had a CRFx and used to have a WRf, but I just read it again and saw you had the 250r I was just curious in your opinion which was the better bike all around if you had ridden them all...

Iv'e had 5 Wr f models. I switched to red last year becuase that's what my sponsor had at the time for me. I was worried at first after being on blue for 10 years. After a year of racing my X I can still say i will never go back! Yamaha is a good bike but i think the Honda is better.