Sign in to follow this  

2010-12 engine reposition

i spoke to the owner of lightspeed today when i picked up my engine reposition collars and he had a lot of interesting stuff to say. # 1 was that he has been in contact with yamaha and they recently tested the collars on stock bikes with different riders with pretty good results. # 2 was that he has been working with the yamaha race teams for over a year and that they have been running the collars for quite a while. they are installed on my bike now to be tested saturday.

I just put an extra link in my chain when i used a larger rear sprocket. Fixed my turning problems and wheelie problems on hills.

in my opinion they work. i kept my sag set at 100mm and didnt change anything else with the bike. i am running stock suspension with springs for my weight and a bridgestone m403 front tire. i rode today at elsinore mx and pretty quickly noticed that the front end didn't feel light and busy as before. i was able to push the bike more and my corner speed improved. the install took about an hour and was pretty east with basic hand tools.

in my opinion they work. i kept my sag set at 100mm and didnt change anything else with the bike. i am running stock suspension with springs for my weight and a bridgestone m403 front tire. i rode today at elsinore mx and pretty quickly noticed that the front end didn't feel light and busy as before. i was able to push the bike more and my corner speed improved. the install took about an hour and was pretty east with basic hand tools.

Can you describe the intall?

ok im in the market for a lowering link, (im a midget) does this collar kit lower the seat height? i see that i dont want to run both. thanks

I don't believe it lowers the bike, just rotates the engine in the frame. If you're trying to lower the bike you either need to have someone shorten the shock with a plate or get a link.

it moves the motor forward 2mm in the frame. you do have to file 1 mm away from 2 motor mounts. it isnt enough to do any damage, and can be reversed if you dont like the mod. i think somebody else might have posted that they weren't really meant to be used with any sort of lowering linkage or lowering shock plates. it comes with easy to follow instructions.

it moves the motor forward 2mm in the frame. you do have to file 1 mm away from 2 motor mounts. it isnt enough to do any damage, and can be reversed if you dont like the mod. i think somebody else might have posted that they weren't really meant to be used with any sort of lowering linkage or lowering shock plates. it comes with easy to follow instructions.

What is the location for the collars?

Edited by delmas

My wife was going to swing through Dubach Racing to pick me up a kit today. She called ahead and they said their first production run sold very quickly. Had to place an order. Second run is due in in about a week. I was hoping to install this weekend. I guess next weekend or the following.

Maybe some of the guys who bought the first production run will chime in about how they work. Thankfully they came out with a straight up bolt on kit.

BBrown, when you get yours be sure to update all of us

i have the dr.d kit coming in this week and will install it and test it with and without my pc link on the bike. i am riding a 2010 with ohlins ttx forks and shock so this should be really ez to feel the changes ,keepin my fingers crossed.

RIght on. I just ordered the Lightspeed kit. I didn't want to spend the extra 50 bucks on the DR.D kit. Hopefully mine will make it to me in the next week or so and I'll give a review on it as well.

I got the lightspeed kit with enzo revalved suspension that included the lowering plate. Will at enzo said they can be ran together. I immediately noticed the difference in handling and its a major improvement. I previously had stock suspension and the PC link which worked well but I wanted a suspension revalve. I removed the PC link and went back to stock linkage, and added the motor mount kit. IMO the PC link cured the knifing in corners, but the engine reposition kit with enzo suspension is even bettter for turning. I am much happier now. The filing in the lower frame was miniimal do to hole to bolt size tolerance slop already built in. The engine bracket filing was also minimal after loosening all bolts and moving the bracket before tightening everythign down. Eyeball what you need to remove and keep removing until the bolts fit. With play in the brackets it may be less than you think. It wasnt as bad as it sounds. Pretty easy mod for big reward.

Cant wait to try it. Considering either a pipe or tuner also. Anyone by Temecula/Murrieta have a tuner I can borrow?