Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke or 450

ive been riding trails, all the enduro videos and they all have 250 2 strokes are they really better than 4 strokes :lol:

there are positives to both. four strokes your going to have reliability . 2 stroke your going to have cheeper maintnece and a lighter bike for how much power it has because it fires on every down stroke rather than every other. if you were to completly rebuild a 4 stroke it would be close to a grans give er take. a two stroke below 500 . i just rebuilt a rm 125 for around 200 bucks but that was just the top end. that includes boring piston rings and needle bearings

modern race 4 strokes are NOT more reliable, not by a long shot

unlike motocross, in the offroad world 250 is 250, so there's no handicap to vastly benefit 4 strokes, people ride what they want, or in the case of pro's, what they are sponsored to ride

unlike motocross, in the offroad world 250 is 250, so there's no handicap to vastly benefit 4 strokes, people ride what they want, or in the case of pro's, what they are sponsored to ride

Thank you. I hate when people say that crap. There are few dirt bikes more reliable than my 98 honda cr250r 2 stroke.

2 stroke for life!!!! :lol:

I find a 450 to be way too much in the woods. In tight slow spots or rough rocky sections that you can't carry a lot of speed, the gearing is too tall on a 450 but it still has to much power. Basically you are on the clutch the whole time and struggling trying not to stall and not have too much hit.

I have a 09 450 for the track but I still run my 06 125 in the trails. 125=light and easy to manuever, low 1st gear, enough power, no worries of overheating

I think the 450 makes a great trail bike. It doesn't turn as well as the 2 strokes, but it's torque comes in handy for hills. I think my 450 makes a great trail bike, but I wouldn't say it's more reliable. It cost more to up keep, but at the same time you not doing top ends, so it's a trade off. When it does break, it's big bucks to fix vs a 2 stroke which can get a full rebuild for under $500. It really comes down to what you can afford and whats more comfortable.

OEM 250 two strokes make 50hp

OEM 450 four strokes make 50hp

Where's the advantage?

Look closely now...

The 450 is easier to ride hard for longer for most people.

The 450 gets better traction because of the way the power is distributed to the ground. Nothing more, nothing less. There simply isn't more power. There is way more traction. The four stroke power pulses allow the tire to bite the ground better instead of spinning like a two stroke does. With a two stroke engine, the tire never gets to "relax" and bite.

In the woods, I can see how a 250 two stroke is a better bike. They are lighter and easier to change direction on and you usually dont need that kind of brute acceleration you get from the traction of a four stroke. Not to mention the weight of the bike.

All of the above is really easy to see when you look at the transition from two strokes to four strokes in GP road racing.

When they went to four strokes making the same power the tires started to shred because they'd never encountered that kind of traction allowing the tires to stick and then pull that hard so the tires quickly died. They finally engineered better tires, but even now...they dont get the same mileage out of the tires as they used to with even higher HP two strokes of the past.

Huh? You can't race a 450 in the 250cc class offroad

That bullshit 450 vs 250 crap is only for mx

OEM 250 two strokes make 50hp

OEM 450 four strokes make 50hp

Where's the advantage?

Look closely now...

The 450 is easier to ride hard for longer for most people.

The 450 gets better traction because of the way the power is distributed to the ground. Nothing more, nothing less. There simply isn't more power. There is way more traction. The four stroke power pulses allow the tire to bite the ground better instead of spinning like a two stroke does. With a two stroke engine, the tire never gets to "relax" and bite.

In the woods, I can see how a 250 two stroke is a better bike. They are lighter and easier to change direction on and you usually dont need that kind of brute acceleration you get from the traction of a four stroke. Not to mention the weight of the bike.

All of the above is really easy to see when you look at the transition from two strokes to four strokes in GP road racing.

When they went to four strokes making the same power the tires started to shred because they'd never encountered that kind of traction allowing the tires to stick and then pull that hard so the tires quickly died. They finally engineered better tires, but even now...they dont get the same mileage out of the tires as they used to with even higher HP two strokes of the past.

you didn't mention torque. superbikes will spin the rear tire at speed in top gear. 250s and 450s are comparable in h.p., but not torque. torque propels the vehicle.

their is a 5hp differance between a 450 and 250, thats big on a bike. 250 2 strokes make 46ish rwhp vs 450 4 strokes making 51-52rwhp.

My YZ250 2T is fun and light in the woods, but the vibrations get to when I'm trying to out run a 450. My 450R is heavy, smooth and easy to ride when tired.

life's short, if you've been riding a 4s, try a 2s. or visa versa. Ones not better than the other, just different.

you didn't mention torque. superbikes will spin the rear tire at speed in top gear. 250s and 450s are comparable in h.p., but not torque. torque propels the vehicle.

torque can be generated power is constant

their is a 5hp differance between a 450 and 250, thats big on a bike. 250 2 strokes make 46ish rwhp vs 450 4 strokes making 51-52rwhp.

new ktm 250 sx makes almost 51HP STOCK! wheres your advantage now?????

yah my 450 is a freaking whoopen beast i wouldnt give it up for anything its awsome, ive ridden an 85 before my 450 they have no low end soo i was wonderen about the bigger ones thanks

I just came off of a 2000 RM250 to a 2004 CRF450r. For me, I like the 450 better, tons of torque, very useable power, great suspension. I always thought I was 2 stroke for life but I found a guy that wanted to trade even up bike for bike, the crf has a new top end so I did it, Best thing I could have done...:lol: .I feel more confident and faster on the trails now than I ever did on my RM..In the end, It will be a personal choice. Pros and Cons to each type.