Sign in to follow this  

Oil in Air box!!!!!!

Just bought my wife a 2008 ttr 125, runs great. Anyways I will try to make this short but explain it well at the same time. When I purchased the bike and got it home i started cleaning it, I pulled the clear hose out of the bottom of the air box and the hose was full of oil, i emptied it and figured the previous owner just put to much oil in the motor causing some to blow into the air box. I changed the oil today and added the correct amount. I took it out for a short ride and when i got back the clear tube on the air bok was about 1/4 of the way full of oil. This has me concerned on why its blowing oil. My thinking is the first time I emptied it was cause he put to much oil in the motor then the second time was because the excess oil left in the air box finally all drained down. What do yall think, thanks in advance.

If the bike has been on it's side, such as a tip-over, it will fill the airbox with oil. Otherwise, fill it to the correct level, clean the airbox, and keep an eye on it.

It was motor oil, I am hoping the motor just had too much oil in it, thanks.

That is very possible, and they absolutely will spit it out like that if the level is too high. That's why I recommended filling it to the known correct level and just watching it. Everyone has overfilled at one time or another.

pretty sure on the ttr's excess oil drains through the vent tube on the head out into the air box and if the oils high it will do it alot... don't really need to worry about it toomuch unless you're seeing shards of metal or feel spaters of hot oil on your pants melting them! :lol:

It hasnt done again since I changed the oil. Although it did feel up with gas but that was b/c my wife laid it over yetserday, lol.