Sign in to follow this  

advice on forks

I need new fork seals and due for a service as well. My question: is it worth it to send them in for a revalve / setup? My only real complaint is that the initial travel feels a bit harsh, other than that it seems to handle really well. Just wondering if it's worth the money since I need to pull them off anyway. Im on a 2005 X stock other than an aftermarket exhaust and light weight battery.

I need new fork seals and due for a service as well. My question: is it worth it to send them in for a revalve / setup? My only real complaint is that the initial travel feels a bit harsh, other than that it seems to handle really well. Just wondering if it's worth the money since I need to pull them off anyway. Im on a 2005 X stock other than an aftermarket exhaust and light weight battery.

Have you set your sag / are the springs correct for your weight?

If you do the front, you should do the rear at the same time.

Suspension is the single most important upgrade you can do to the bike, after correcting the jetting.

Yep , i've set the sag and played with the clickers a bunch. i finally went with some recommended settings i found somewhere online which seemed to work better than what I was able to come up with. Also I've dropped the tripples a bit on the forks to keep the front end from washing out. I overdid it at first but when I backed it off a bit having the front end lowered made the bike turn way better.

Anyway, ya if I go ahead I'd send in the shock as well. Just wondering if it will be that much better to be worth the $'s. I guess I'm looking for some to say" ya I did my 05 X and it is awesome" haha

Suspension set up is the key.

depending on weight, if your over 180 lbs i would get the correct springs and revalve. it will really help.

Yep , i've set the sag and played with the clickers a bunch. i finally went with some recommended settings i found somewhere online which seemed to work better than what I was able to come up with. Also I've dropped the tripples a bit on the forks to keep the front end from washing out. I overdid it at first but when I backed it off a bit having the front end lowered made the bike turn way better.

Anyway, ya if I go ahead I'd send in the shock as well. Just wondering if it will be that much better to be worth the $'s. I guess I'm looking for some to say" ya I did my 05 X and it is awesome" haha

Yeah, I did my '05 X by ESP, then ASR, then ASR again (even stiffer springs) and it was better each time. I should have gone with the better tuner to begin with

Another :lol: for ASR....

Did my 08' after a year of riding on the stock setup, and it was a different bike after the suspension work. I was able to ride more aggressive as the confidence grew. I Rarely get "bucked" off the bike in nasty rocks which was a regular occurrence before the work.

I was very much like you before wondering if it was worth the doh$$... but now it will ALWAYS be the first thing done when buying bikes.

For what it's worth, I'm a hefty guy at 6'1" 235lbs but I would say even a small guy would benefit from a revalve and it you'd save a couple hundred bucks if you didn't need new springs.

Just my .02