Sign in to follow this  

2005 DRZ400s Larger fuel tank comparisons

Hi guys,

I went to the local gas tank store: http://justgastanks.com/index.php here in San Diego, CA and I looked at the IMS 4 gallon and the Clarke 3.9 gallon tanks. They both looked good but here's what I heard:

Clarke uses the stock radiator shrouds and petcock and once in a while the gas cap cracks. It looks more like stock and the shrouds with the decals make it look more like a stock bike.

The IMS has integrated radiator shrouds(Looks a little massive, but provides more radiator proection) and doesn't have gas cap problems (Newer generation) but doesn't look as stealthy and also costs another $45 bucks.

Both tanks state that they require you to route your bike's vent line that used to go to the nipple on the steel tank to the gas cap.

I can also buy an Acerbis aftermarket petcock if I don't want to transfer the stock petcock, but I have to plug the vacuum line.

Has anyone done research or purchased either of these tanks and have advice?

Dave

I have the Clarke tank with the Yamaha 90 degree petcock and no spacer feeding the stock Mikuni carb. It fits very well, works well and looks good. The 90 degree petcock feeds directly into the carb, so I am having trouble figuring out a filter installation. My first bike had a manual petcock, so I am fine with closing it whenever I park the bike for more than a couple of minutes.

My bike has no smog hardware left on it. All the carb vacuum ports are capped off.

The black Clarke tank looks pretty good with black side plastics. :lol:

PA210038.jpg

I've had both. When I got the bike it had a Clarke and I was happy with it. I had a bad crash and broke the top off the tank. I replaced it with the IMS because I found one for a good deal. I am sure either one will make you happy. I am concerned about the IMS because it holds a lot of fuel down in the shroud area and I don't think that fuel will make it to the carb, but I haven't had a chance to really the range.

From the pictures I've seen the Aqualine uses the nicest plastic. It's got some texture to hide imperfections instead of being somewhat polished. Search for the justgastanks.com 5% rebate and send me 2.5% :lol: I can't remember if the rebate is on here or advrider.com

Steve

I've had the IMS for over a year and am pleased w/ it. One very good thing about it is that the front of the tank doesn't stick up as high as others. Venting for the tank is no big deal. I've gotten an easy 220 miles out of it, but all the gas isn't going to be used unless tilting the bike over on the left. No big deal, heck consider it a reserve for the reserve.It's actually 4.2 gal.

IMG_0973.jpg

BTW- if it's important to you, stickers don't stick very well to the gas tank.

Edited by One Less Harley

My buddy and I both have the IMS for 3 years now and really like them. They carry the gas lower than stock or Clarke and as an added bonus the shrouds protect the radiators pretty good.

Been using the IMS 4Gal for a month now, and im loving it.

302KM and still yet to hit reserve.

Do the any of the aftermarket tanks match the DRZ factor yellow?

I know IMS does but If I remember they have two different yellows so you have to get the right one. Mine matches perfectly.

I know IMS does but If I remember they have two different yellows so you have to get the right one. Mine matches perfectly.

Thanks good to know. :lol: Thinking of getting a larger tank, color matching will play a part in my decision. What size tank do you have?

Hey guys, thanks for the great response! I also heard that the IMS is narrower by the seat which many riders like. It looks like the IMS is the way to go and also for me to buy another petcock, maybe the DRZ400E petcock that doesn't require a vacuum line.

Dave

davidhsd@gmail.com

I got my Safari tank at JustGasTanks. Check that one out why you're there. 4.5 gallons, looks great, works great. No issues fitting it on.

I have the IMS 3.2 gal on both my bikes...using the E model taps..

Went with the translucent ,so fuel level checks are "as easy as" at just a glance...

Plus 1 on the translucent tank, until your miles from anywhere and you can see how far your not going to get.:lol:

Sometime times ignorance is bliss:thumbsup:

• Like 1