Sign in to follow this  

Washington Discover Pass transferability

SB5977 will allow the transferability of the Discover Pass between two vehicles.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5977&year=2011

It gets a hearing before the Senate Energy, Natural Resources & Marine Waters Committee on 14 December 2011 at 1:30pm.

If you support this bill, let the committee members know.

Their email addresses:

Ranker.Kevin@leg.wa.gov

Delvin.jerome@leg.wa.gov

Regala.Debbie@leg.wa.gov

Morton.Bob@leg.wa.gov

Fraser.Karen@leg.wa.gov

Hargrove.James@leg.wa.gov

Murray.ed@leg.wa.gov

Stevens.Val@leg.wa.gov

Swecker.Dan@leg.wa.gov

Edited by tod701

I know that most people want this to pass, I just can't support the Discovery pass in the first place. I can't support a law that changes it, unless elimination is the ultimate goal.

On this one I'll continue to vote with my wallet and lack of volunteer time.

I don't see the part where the bill states "Once this bill is signed into law the money set aside for the original purposes can never be used for anything else until this bill is repealed."

I don't see the part where the bill states "Once this bill is signed into law the money set aside for the original purposes can never be used for anything else until this bill is repealed."

AND THIS!!!! Sorry Tod as much as I'd like to send my legislator an E-Mail, most likely it would be "Don't vote for this and "failure" of the D. Pass is why I don't want it to pass, parks are supposed to be paid for through property taxes and part of the sales tax. Maybe we could get an E.R. Parking Pass, so if you go to the ER you have to pay $10 for one visit or $30 + taxes and fees for a year and the pass can't be transfered so DSHS can fund it's overblown programs would I ever agree to parks being a pay to use program.

I'll support it. Write them, tell them you want to support multiple cars, but also let them know about these other issues, including trying to rob what little money goes to the DNR from this pass anyway. I would bet non-ORV users will write in in support and will let them know their views. Silence never got us anywhere

:lol:

I got mine at Fred Meyer and never filled in the plate number. Works in my truck and motorhome just fine. No worries.

never bought one. I put up my WDFW pass...same color and works fine too...or they never have checked. Principle of this just chaps me...more, more, more....starve em.

It is just dumb that the pass is not transferrable between cars. The pass should be assigned to a person or driver, or per car parked. It is hard to drive 2 vehicles at once, plus what happens if you sell your rig and get a new one? Or if my truck is in the shop like it is now am I supposed to buy another pass for my other vehicle just for a week? That is crazy talk. Bottom line is it shouldn't matter where the pass came from as long as each car has one at the staging area.

what happens if you sell your rig and get a new one?

Currently you are S.O.L.

Even better is when the State makes you by new plates for the vehicle that you assigned you D-pass to, you are S.O.L. then too.

Currently you are S.O.L.

Even better is when the State makes you by new plates for the vehicle that you assigned you D-pass to, you are S.O.L. then too.

Sheesh.....I hadn't thought about that too!:lol:

Joe

set one of your old plates on the dash under the hang tag ?

I have heard of that being done already.

The guy had a d-pass about a month when he got his renewal+new plate letter in the mail :lol:

I have heard of that being done already.

The guy had a d-pass about a month when he got his renewal+new plate letter in the mail :lol:

I think we'll need to have more mirrors to hang all this crap from..discover pass, WDFW pass, Forest Service pass, old license plates....probably missing a few.

Senator Hargrove has introduced SB5998.

This bill is similar to SB5977, SB5985 and HB2153 in that it allows Discover Pass transferability between two vehicles. The primary difference is it also limits the Discover Pass requirements on DNR managed public land to developed areas such as campgrounds, trails, trailheads and associated parking lots.

See link:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5998&year=2011

Unless you are just passing through on the roads, this bill will not do anything for you.

I will not support this as it reads. It changes nothing for those of us who transport dual sport vehicles. We will still be required to buy a Discover Pass for every plated vehicle that you transport to DNR land.

Figure it out. If you put your dual sported vehicle as one of the license plates on the Discover pass, you will have to carry it with you while you ride or take the chance of getting a ticket if stopped. If you take it with you as you ride, then your transport vehicle will have no Discover pass in the window and you will get a ticket. They have changed nothing. The dishonesty and misleading nature of this legislation is amazing. They have done nothing.

I will not support this as it reads. It changes nothing for those of us who transport dual sport vehicles. We will still be required to buy a Discover Pass for every plated vehicle that you transport to DNR land.

Figure it out. If you put your dual sported vehicle as one of the license plates on the Discover pass, you will have to carry it with you while you ride or take the chance of getting a ticket if stopped. If you take it with you as you ride, then your transport vehicle will have no Discover pass in the window and you will get a ticket. They have changed nothing. The dishonesty and misleading nature of this legislation is amazing. They have done nothing.

Unless your dual sport is dual registered with an ORV permit.

Then you will not need a D-pass to ride roads or to ride trails.

Unless your dual sport is dual registered with an ORV permit.

Then you will not need a D-pass to ride roads or to ride trails.

Todd, I thought that only applied to ORV conversion dual sports. Am I wrong? What the site says about ORV's seems to indicate some may be plated but they were ORV's. If what you suggest is true then I can buy an ORV license for my Truck and it will not need a Discover Pass either. I suspect you will get ticketed unless you can prove it is an ORV. Or maybe it will depend on who checks you but that would be too precarious for my likings. We should not have to dance around the law wondering if we are criminals or not.