Sign in to follow this  

Trail vs mx, carb vs FI

Looking for a four fifty... wondering what to get? I ride lots of desert, a little sand dunes, and some rocky technical trails.

I'm gonna have just under 4k to spend. These are what I'm considering.

06 or 07 crf450x. 3200-3500 ish

08 klx 450r. Approx 3500

FI mx bike... most likely a Zuki. 3200+

non FI mx bike... probably 07-08 Yamaha or kawi. Around 3000

Would I be better off with the lighter mx bike and used saved money to mod it and get a second setup for desert long distance? Or stay with a trail bike? Are the early fi 450s reliable enough to be worth the ease of no jetting and the throttle response? Also, how dramatic of a range difference is there between the approximately 3.5 gallon tanks on a mx bike and a 4.5 gallon tank available for a trail bike?

fyi, 5'11", 170, coming off highly modded rm250. Going to start hare scramble desert races in a few months maybe. Also fyi, the range question is for my Baja trips.

Thanks, opinions are helpful!

I ride a 09 RM-z and the FI is well worth it to me. I love the instant response and the also the ease of starting. I ride trails, track, and ALLOT of desert and never have the issue of running out of gas. Tho pretty low when we get back the the truck the first few rides I did carrie extra gas just to be safe.

I picked my bike up for around 4

Im not aware of any MX bikes that have a 3.5 gallon tank...most are around 1.5-1.7 gallons. If you are riding an MX bike for its intended purpose, you arent going far, so why would you want the extra 12 pounds of high centered weight? You wouldnt..thats why they are small tanks. This is one of many reasons why I believe in purpose intended bikes. From your list, I would scratch the MX bikes off first. Between the KLX and the Honda, I would have to go CRF450X. Picking outside of your list, I would go with a KTM 400/450 EXC or maybe a WR450. Of course, you will pay in weight, but you will have a bike with the correct gearing, kickstand, light, etc that you be glad you have in the desert or dunes.

Ya I was going to suggest 450x as well, though coming off a 2 stroke, most 4's will feel like pigs. You could look into a 450r, I have seen them trail riden with great success but they are track bikes so be ready to use the clutch a little more.

I don't usually suggest ktm's, however if you could find a 500xc-w in your budget that could be a considerable option as well.

Definitely try to get a bike with fuel injection. Especially if you will be riding at any altitude. Carbs are old, out dated, and pretty hard to be jetted perfectly

I will pretty

Such always be at sea level. I have buzzed around on a 450x before and ridden a klx 450 and loved it. As far as tank size, I was referring to the 3.3ish gallon oversize tanks available. I have noticed that FI bikes have very few, and very small oversized tanks. Between the klx and the crfx, which is the better platform for desert/dunes? Which motor is more reliable?

Carbed bike have better and cheaper tank options by far, and mx 450's suck the fuel even with FI if not more so. You say you ride a lot of desert only reason I mention it, but would rather have a carb 40 miles from the truck than a computer/wires and fuel pump.

The weight difference of around thirty pounds scares me... I can get a 3.3 gallon tank for a carb MX bike. I'm thinking it would be more affordable to buy one and buy parts for a desert setup. Then I can revert it to motocross setup when I take it to the dunes or maybe try a mx track.. I can get a BIGGER tank for a trail bike, but anything above the 3.4 gallon tank replaces the shrouds, which I don't want. My 250 was geared tall, and I've ridden a 15/48 geared 450R and liked it. What do you think?

The weight difference of around thirty pounds scares me... I can get a 3.3 gallon tank for a carb MX bike. I'm thinking it would be more affordable to buy one and buy parts for a desert setup. Then I can revert it to motocross setup when I take it to the dunes or maybe try a mx track.. I can get a BIGGER tank for a trail bike, but anything above the 3.4 gallon tank replaces the shrouds, which I don't want. My 250 was geared tall, and I've ridden a 15/48 geared 450R and liked it. What do you think?

I like this idea because well...this is what I did. I had to learn the hard way and lose a lot of money first though.

I went from a 94' CR250 to a new 07' WR450. That bike was heavy,didnt want to turn,had terrible suspension..... Of course all the people here were saying its a great bike.....I guess maybe if you are slow and dont hit whoops the size of volkswagens it might be.

Sand? Forget about it....that pig was a handful in the sand. Would not be fun at all in the dunes.

Blew up on me last year and I couldnt be happier. Picked up an 04' CRF450R,threw a kickstand,desert tank,skid plate etc on it and I love it.

I ride mostly desert...wide open to tight rocky singletrack and I will not ever own another trail bike....MX only. Look at the hare and hounds,scrambles etc.....mostly MX bikes very few on the heavy piggies,theres a reason.

I like this idea because well...this is what I did. I had to learn the hard way and lose a lot of money first though.

I went from a 94' CR250 to a new 07' WR450. That bike was heavy,didnt want to turn,had terrible suspension..... Of course all the people here were saying its a great bike.....I guess maybe if you are slow and dont hit whoops the size of volkswagens it might be.

Sand? Forget about it....that pig was a handful in the sand. Would not be fun at all in the dunes.

Blew up on me last year and I couldnt be happier. Picked up an 04' CRF450R,threw a kickstand,desert tank,skid plate etc on it and I love it.

I ride mostly desert...wide open to tight rocky singletrack and I will not ever own another trail bike....MX only. Look at the hare and hounds,scrambles etc.....mostly MX bikes very few on the heavy piggies,theres a reason.

Sounds like you ride a lot like what I ride... So Cal? I'm in SW AZ. I was thinking along the lines of an 07-09 yzf 450, because I've heard the motors are damn reliable. 200 hours plus. There's plenty of them nearby.

Sounds like you ride a lot like what I ride... So Cal? I'm in SW AZ. I was thinking along the lines of an 07-09 yzf 450, because I've heard the motors are damn reliable. 200 hours plus. There's plenty of them nearby.

Yep So Cal Deserts. Lucerne Valley area mostly.

All of the MX bikes are pretty damn good nowadays. Are those the 5 valve in those years? I had bad luck with my Yamaha and blew it up...def under 200hrs. May or may not have been my fault who knows. But most dont have a problem.

MX bikes arent perfect for the trails but in stock form the lack of weight and better suspension makes you much farther ahead to start....and most of the downsides if you are doing alot of slow technical stuff are fixable if you feel the need: Heavier flywheel,gearing,coolant recovery tank etc.

Yep So Cal Deserts. Lucerne Valley area mostly.

All of the MX bikes are pretty damn good nowadays. Are those the 5 valve in those years? I had bad luck with my Yamaha and blew it up...def under 200hrs. May or may not have been my fault who knows. But most dont have a problem.

MX bikes arent perfect for the trails but in stock form the lack of weight and better suspension makes you much farther ahead to start....and most of the downsides if you are doing alot of slow technical stuff are fixable if you feel the need: Heavier flywheel,gearing,coolant recovery tank etc.

I believe so... will be doing some further research. Would I be able to put a WR-style coolant tank behind the rear number plate maybe? That would be nice.

I am surprised to hear that dunes riders enjoy the MX bikes...dont you run out of gear quickly? My trailized YZ topped out at a whopping 45 mph...it was geared down a bit for technical trails, but still very slow on the top end. What about a light? No night riding?

I am surprised to hear that dunes riders enjoy the MX bikes...dont you run out of gear quickly? My trailized YZ topped out at a whopping 45 mph...it was geared down a bit for technical trails, but still very slow on the top end. What about a light? No night riding?

My Rm was geared 15/50... a little faster than 45 :lol:

and I'd rather pay extra to wire it for a light than carry around 40 extra pounds ... at least that is my opinion now after all this fine advice! Thanks guys