Sign in to follow this  

Bike caught on fire!

Sad day for me to say the least. I opened up the trailer to this. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I wonder how hot it actualy got on my forks and stuff. Can anyone give me advise on what to say to the insurance agent? I mean like besides physical damage, what internal damage to computer or anything like that could have happened??? Thanks

fire3.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire1.jpg

Wow. BAD luck. Did ya have handwarmers? Some other aftermarket electronics?

Prolly won't know what's wrong til ya start replacing things.

Good luck

:lol:

Wow! This is a new one for sure. Did you have something, such as GPS wiring, wired directly to the battery without a fuse?

The bright side is, the fuel tank didn't catch fire and burn the whole damm trailer down.

Looks like the headlight went up. Bummer.

Did you have a Dual Sport kit on it ?? , there should be no juice to the headlight area unless the bike is running , the only power up front that i know of (stock) is the starter button

But everything in the front , like the triple tree's , head bearings and even tank should be replaced , if it got hot enough to melt the shroud ,it was hot enough to weaken the metal and maybe damage internal seals and O-Rings in the fork cartridge ,as well as i would want the entire wire harness replaced as well as any related components ,just in case

and as mentioned you are lucky the whole trailer and all did not burn to the ground ,if that tank had have melted ,you would have a larger pile of melted parts

the only other thing up front was the Trail Tech Vapor. When you say head bearings are you meaning inside the motor? I was very lucky the trailer did not go up. I have a the rino lineing stuff on the floor, and it burned it right off and started to burn the plywood. The inside of the trailer is completely smoke damaged, and all my oter bikes in the trailer are covered in soot. Is there a bluebook for these things? Im wondering how much damage it will have to have to be totaled out. Shoot the stabilizer and Vapor alone are almost 700.00 This sucks.

Those lithium polymer (lipo) batteries are known to over heat and catch fire.. Especially if they get damaged at all. Obviously from pics the fire started Up front and battery is probably not suspect.

I was kinda wondering how long till we see a bike fall victim to one of the new lipo batteries.

That really sucks! I'm sorry that happened but thank the Lord you weren't pulling a fully engulfed trailer down the freeway with all bikes a total loss!!

He means the headset bearings, not engine bearings.

Ok, so did you have the Vapor wired direct to the battery without a fuse? If so, that's most likely your culprit. In most instances the wire would simply burn when shorted and be done, but unfortunately something ignited before the wire burned out. Maybe the foam around the back of the headlight for instance.

I don't agree that you need to replace the triple clamps, headset bearings or any other metal parts. A plastic fire does not burn hot enough to damage or weaken aluminum or steel. A cylinder head for example is made of aluminum and sees much higher temps than were present in this situation. I do agree that internal seals and orings could have been compromised, so have your forks rebuilt for peace of mind, they're probably due anyway. Also, for peace of mind, re-grease the headset bearings and check to see if the seals were toasted.

As far as the GPR damper, The worst that's happened is the seals got cooked. Send it to GPR for a rebuild.

You're gonna need a wiring harness, no use in trying to repair it. I would replace the start switch and kill as well just so you have all factory style connections to the harness. All new cables and front brake line too.

If the fuel tank is unscathed, I'd run it. If it's melted in any area, then now is a good time to upgrade to an IMS tank.

Soot and smoke damage can all be cleaned and your insurance company will likely compensate you for this, although it won't be much. They will most likely compensate you for damage to the Rhino lining as well. I'd just patch it and pocket that money. If your insurance company totals the bike, buy it back from them and repair it. It's not as bad as it looks. It's just gonna take some time and cash to repair. Granted, this all depends on how good of a policy you have.

There is a Blue Book value for dirt bikes but it varies greatly depending on market and condition. Assuming your bike is a 2009, it Blue Books at about $4900 in brand new condition for southern California. More information can be found here: http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/

Good luck!

He means the headset bearings, not engine bearings.

Ok, so did you have the Vapor wired direct to the battery without a fuse? If so, that's most likely your culprit. In most instances the wire would simply burn when shorted and be done, but unfortunately something ignited before the wire burned out. Maybe the foam around the back of the headlight for instance.

I don't agree that you need to replace the triple clamps, headset bearings or any other metal parts. A plastic fire does not burn hot enough to damage or weaken aluminum or steel. A cylinder head for example is made of aluminum and sees much higher temps than were present in this situation. I do agree that internal seals and orings could have been compromised, so have your forks rebuilt for peace of mind, they're probably due anyway. Also, for peace of mind, re-grease the headset bearings and check to see if the seals were toasted.

As far as the GPR damper, The worst that's happened is the seals got cooked. Send it to GPR for a rebuild.

You're gonna need a wiring harness, no use in trying to repair it. I would replace the start switch and kill as well just so you have all factory style connections to the harness. All new cables and front brake line too.

If the fuel tank is unscathed, I'd run it. If it's melted in any area, then now is a good time to upgrade to an IMS tank.

Soot and smoke damage can all be cleaned and your insurance company will likely compensate you for this, although it won't be much. They will most likely compensate you for damage to the Rhino lining as well. I'd just patch it and pocket that money. If your insurance company totals the bike, buy it back from them and repair it. It's not as bad as it looks. It's just gonna take some time and cash to repair. Granted, this all depends on how good of a policy you have.

There is a Blue Book value for dirt bikes but it varies greatly depending on market and condition. Assuming your bike is a 2009, it Blue Books at about $4900 in brand new condition for southern California. More information can be found here: http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/

Good luck!

Thank you very much!

IMO if you have insurance take it to a shop and let them give you a repair price. Call your agent and tell him the truth about it catching on fire for a unknown reason. Anything else is a guess. Show him all the damage to everything including the trailer. Do not thake a check from him untill all repairs are made unless he is clear that he will make and adjustment later if needed.

Yes, have a Honda dealer do an estimate. Have the adjuster come out and look at your trailer or send them pictures, however they want to do it. Once you agree the insurance company has reached a fair payout with you, take the check and fix everything yourself for a fraction of the price. Reward yourself by using the remainder of the cash to accessorize your bike or trailer or both.

A word of caution. If they find this is your fault because you improperly installed an aftermarket accessory (e.g. the power wire to the Vapor) they may tell you to pound sand. So, remove that wire before having an estimate done.......just sayin.

MasterT2000

I was not saying that the Triple Trees WERE damaged , what i am saying is , if the insurance company is paying for this instead of the owner , then he SHOULD replace anything that could have been compromised in the fire , PERIOD , me personally , i would replace them for the simple fact i would hate to have scrimped on that item , then hit a jump and found out the hard way that i should not have been cheap when someone else is footing the bill and the accident could have been prevented in the first place , since you were not in the trailer at the time , i would find it hard for you to determine how hot it actually got when everything was melting onto the forks and tree's because i would bet they sat there burning for a while before they slid off to the trailer floor , to me i would rather be safe now and later , than be cheap now and real sorry later , just my opinion , not trying to argue , but i wouldn't chance it , not if the insurance is paying , and even if they were not , i would find a used pair on EBay before i trusted them again after a fire , stock clamps are not machined , they are cast , and cast parts are not that strong to begin with , then if they are compromised by heat of a unknown temp and time , they CAN become even weaker ..Just Sayin !!

I would also have at least the throttle cable replaced , as i would not want it sticking because the casing melted into the cable part and occasionally bound up , just once is enough to cause a bad wreck , i would say ANYTHING on the front that was in any way within the area of the fire should be replaced and NOTED to the insurance , so IF something happens down the road you have some back-up

Well after a long talk with insurance, Finding out I have to pay 2 seprate deductables, the bike goes to the shop tomorrow. Everything up front is toast. The throttle wont twist at all. One thing she did say is, that they wont pay for the part that caused the fire, but they will pay for the damage it caused. So if it was say the vapor wire, they wont replace that single item but the bike will still be fixed. That was a relief.

Well after a long talk with insurance, Finding out I have to pay 2 seprate deductables, the bike goes to the shop tomorrow. Everything up front is toast. The throttle wont twist at all. One thing she did say is, that they wont pay for the part that caused the fire, but they will pay for the damage it caused. So if it was say the vapor wire, they wont replace that single item but the bike will still be fixed. That was a relief.

Did you install the Vapor? Do you know if it had a fuse in the power line?

Did you install the Vapor? Do you know if it had a fuse in the power line?

No, there was no fuse.