Sign in to follow this  

84 Honda CR 500????

I responded to an ad listed as 83 cr 500. I knew it was either a 480 or an 84 500. Well , its an 84 cr 500. Complete and completely stock. Last ridden about 10 yrs ago. was running when parked. It is nice. I knw the 480 was considered better but is this bike worth buying. What flaws did it have and are they fixable?

for 500 bux, I would grab it... sounds pretty decent from what you are saying.

Search my name for 84 CR500 info. I've written a novel about them it seems :lol:

84's were by far the worst CR500's in stock form imo. I honestly consider them un-ridable if you plan to to more than weelie's in the field. That said there are 3 things that hold them back from being amazing:

1. Rear shock was sprung for a 110lb rider.

2. Needle in carb DOES NOT work with the motor under any circumstance unless you like constant pinging, impossible jetting, blubbering and melted pistons.

3. Forks are worthless.

Fixes.

-Send the rear shock out to someone for re-valving and a proper spring.

-Replace needle with a DGL or better yet throw the PE carb away and swap on a PJ or PWK carb from a later model bike.

-Race Tech emulators or swap on later model CR 43mm cartridge forks.

Here's my work in progress: Eric Gorr 520cc, trail porting, low compression head mod, billet upper tree with 3" risers and Scotts damper, S&S compression release, Pro-Action revavled suspension, 87 CR cartridge forks, Clarke 4gal fuel tank, 39.5mm Keihin PWK carb (stock shown). Future plans are a late model CR250 ignition...

Night and day difference compared to stock. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I love talking about the 84's :)

DSC02736.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

Thanks rotbox. I will definately be keeping in touch. Im headed to Nashville in the morning to get it. I will figure out how to post pics tmrw. Ive got my fingers crossed. Te pic are i seen of it were great. Im buying it from a lady. It used to be her sons. He passed away. I paint and restore cars for a living. I plan to do the same with this bike. Its so awesome how old bikes have a story.... Im 32 by the way and when i was younger all i could afford was broke down late 70's to mid 80's dirtbikes. Ive had brand new bikes too, up until 2 yrs ago, just not the same. Its kinda weird how you go back to your childhood. I live in birmingham al by the way. I will let yall knw how it goes tmrw! fingers crossed.

It's an 84 500. Has a newer tank and shrouds that makes it look different. You can find these at a good price and fairly original as they were not the most popular race bike in the day. I remember the local honda dealer blowing them out at $900 when the 85's were introduced. We have a couple of guys riding them at our local vintage track and they are FAST.

That's an 83 CR480 frame and swing arm. Motor could be an 82 or 83, but its definitely a 480. Someone has added later disk brake front wheel and fork assembly. Wrong tank, seat, pipe.... That is the project of all projects :smirk: I'd probably pick it up :bonk:

Rot box is right, after a closer look, there is the stub of a kicker on the left, chain on the right. From the looks of the clutch cover, it has been used a lot. I love my 83 but that one will need a lot of time and $.

Well everyone, i got the 84 from nashville. it was alittle rougher than i thought. The kickstart gear appears to be bad. Itll catch every so often. I guess im gonna have to pull the topend off. It appears to be seized. I think from just sitting too long. Ive been letting it soak. I put some PB blaster in the plug hole. It still aint budging after 5 days. I got a photobucket set up so ill post pics tonight.

Cool! :bonk:

Wouldn't hurt to pull the topend off and give it a good hone/rings and likely a new piston. Luckily many parts of the 84 are shared with the newer CR500's. I would HIGHLY recommend using a Honda (oem) base gasket you can get them through your dealer or someone like www.servicehonda.com

It would also be a good idea to pull down the suspension linkage and grease it if its not too late. One of the links has a bushing instead of a bearing and it likes to seize up if not greased often :smirk:

Also like many aircooled bikes a lot of that heat likes to adsorb into the crank case oil. I would replace it right off the bat, and keep it changed often. I like the Hondaline 80w-80 personally.