Sign in to follow this  

kxf woods bike

I'm going to look at changing bikes in a few months and not sure what to get, either a kx250f or a yz125(144).

I currently have a 09 kx250f that I have revalved the forks, fitted an ohlins steering damper, high comp piston, 49t rear sprocket, and thats it.

It's been a good bike but want to move on before the hours get too high.

The type of riding I do is from open farm land to very technical tight stuff, not much mx though. The type of soil/ground varries hugely too. I run mid pack b class in hare scramble and cross countries, even done the odd extreme enduro and endurocross.

I haven't followed the development of the kawi's that closley so wondering if I can get some owner opinions on the 11's and 12's.

Are they good in the woods, looking for good grunt down low? do the turn better than the 09, and do they feel any lighter or slimmer? How is the suspension for woods, is the funny forks easy enough to get re-valved? Also can I remap the ecu to put the power where I want and as smooth as I want?

I have an '11 KX250F and I ride MX with it, but in stock form, I have always thought it would be excellent in the woods. It has a great bottom end grunt and power through the high midrange, and even better, the stock suspension is a bit soft for MX and people who weigh about 160lb. It would probably work well in the woods with little modification.

That said, I have a 09 200XCW KTM and it is the best trail bike ever in my opinion. It falls short when you want to go fast for a transfer section or a long straight but in the tight stuff, it can't be beat. Grunt of a 300 down low and then it tears off on the pipe in high ignition setting, or continues to grunt through the midrange if you keep it in the low ignition setting. Very versatile bike, handles right, and if you want to ride MX with it, look at an '09 XC. they stopped making the xc in 09, but it had everything good that year with the newest closed cartridge fork, new PDS shock, and it comes with a lighting coil and is very easy to kick start. 1/2 to 1 kick and it is going.

I have an '11 KX250F and I ride MX with it, but in stock form, I have always thought it would be excellent in the woods. It has a great bottom end grunt and power through the high midrange, and even better, the stock suspension is a bit soft for MX and people who weigh about 160lb. It would probably work well in the woods with little modification.

That said, I have a 09 200XCW KTM and it is the best trail bike ever in my opinion. It falls short when you want to go fast for a transfer section or a long straight but in the tight stuff, it can't be beat. Grunt of a 300 down low and then it tears off on the pipe in high ignition setting, or continues to grunt through the midrange if you keep it in the low ignition setting. Very versatile bike, handles right, and if you want to ride MX with it, look at an '09 XC. they stopped making the xc in 09, but it had everything good hthat year with the newest closed cartridge fork, new PDS shock, and it comes with a lighting coil and is very easy to kick start. 1/2 to 1 kick and it is going.

Never really liked they way ktm's feel.

I race my 2011 KXF in woods. It's been on the top box many times. It's thin, light, fast. I have done all of the mandatory woods mods, but overall - i love the thing. I'm waiting (still) for a 300cc cylinder to arrive and have a well massaged head to bolt on top of it. It's goimng to be a woods killer. So much lighter and useable than a 450, but instant grunt and no on-off temperment like a 2 smoker.

I race my 2011 KXF in woods. It's been on the top box many times. It's thin, light, fast. I have done all of the mandatory woods mods, but overall - i love the thing. I'm waiting (still) for a 300cc cylinder to arrive and have a well massaged head to bolt on top of it. It's goimng to be a woods killer. So much lighter and useable than a 450, but instant grunt and no on-off temperment like a 2 smoker.

What have you done to it?

I'm interested in what others have done as well, but my son has an 11 KX250F. He races primarily our local off-road series in Utah (desert/hare scrambles type riding), but he's also done Endurocross, Hare & Hounds, MX, and lots of trail riding.

I even rode his bike at the Idaho City ISDE qualifier this past June and rode over 100 miles of the world's best singletrack and I absolutely loved the bike and I ride an '09 KTM 300.

For me, the best off-road mod we did to it was install a Rekluse Core EXP clutch. It has performed flawless and has over 100 hours on it since install.

We've done other typical off-road mods such as bigger tank, GPR V.4 under bar damper, skid plate, etc.. We've done some suspension mods to make it a little more compliant in the rough off-road stuff.

I think it makes a great mount for an off-road bike. We also have a KTM 200SX. I rode that bike back to back a few weekends ago with his 250F. The 200 comes to life way quicker, and is much easier to loft the front wheel and just has a lighter feel to it overall (also has amazing low-end grunt for a 2-stroke), but it is more "twitchy" feeling than than the 250F in the fast stuff and doesn't turn as well due to the older chassis.

I'm interested in what others have done as well, but my son has an 11 KX250F. He races primarily our local off-road series in Utah (desert/hare scrambles type riding), but he's also done Endurocross, Hare & Hounds, MX, and lots of trail riding.

I even rode his bike at the Idaho City ISDE qualifier this past June and rode over 100 miles of the world's best singletrack and I absolutely loved the bike and I ride an '09 KTM 300.

For me, the best off-road mod we did to it was install a Rekluse Core EXP clutch. It has performed flawless and has over 100 hours on it since install.

We've done other typical off-road mods such as bigger tank, GPR V.4 under bar damper, skid plate, etc.. We've done some suspension mods to make it a little more compliant in the rough off-road stuff.

I think it makes a great mount for an off-road bike. We also have a KTM 200SX. I rode that bike back to back a few weekends ago with his 250F. The 200 comes to life way quicker, and is much easier to loft the front wheel and just has a lighter feel to it overall (also has amazing low-end grunt for a 2-stroke), but it is more "twitchy" feeling than than the 250F in the fast stuff and doesn't turn as well due to the older chassis.

Was it easy enough to get the suspension sorted, I'm a bit worried that the tuners over here won't have enough experience with the forks.

Where's the power on the 11, and can you change the spread with a ecu mapping?

which bike wore you out quicker the kxf or the ktm200?

What have you done to it?

Rekluse Core EXP, FMF Full Ti, Bazaaz, Scotts Stab, Tubliss, boyesen pump, oversized Myler's Rads, Flatland Rad guards, BRP Billet bar mount for SUB, Fastway pegs, Acerbis Pro Rally handguards, teflon lined throttle tube, etc

Specifically for the woods - the Rekluse is a must have - so good I think it's going to be a factory option soon (on orange bikes). I stand alot in rough stuff so the high rise billet SUB and Trail Tech X-bars are a very comfortable height. Standing on a huge peg vs skinny fatory junk is good for me too.

My philosophy is that the bike has to be comfortable during the first 10 minutes and the following 2 hours. If the ergonomics or simple comforts are fighting me back, I can't get comfy and kill it. I like to finish tired, but not like the bike just kicked my butt.