Sign in to follow this  

About to purchase an 07 SM....

So I've done my homework and think that the drz 400 SM might be for me.... The one I'm interested in:

2007 SM 3,300 miles, never off road

Has a few extras: larger tank, frame sliders, Leo Vince exhaust etc. nothing crazy

"Pristine" condition

He was asking $5k but I offered $4300 and he accepted it

Is this a fair price? I haven't seen the bike but the seller says it is the cleanest one I will find.

About me: Coming from a Zuma 125 scooter for my first bike, ready for something bigger than can handle occasional freeway use. I will probably be putting a rear rack and some sort of luggage on it as it will be my main source of transportation. I will probably never take it off road but who knows down the road. Mostly going to be used for city commuting, I don't want a bike bike by any means this is only my second motorcycle.

Is the DRZ 400SM for me? I love the look of the bike and all the reviews I've read said its great for commuting with decent gas milage.

Any input is appreciated!

Take it for a good ride and see how it feels...You need to ride it to see if it suits you and to check out any possible mechanical issues..

Taking a buddy with you that is mechanically familiar with motorcycles is an advantage or take it to a reputable shop for inspection...

The seller is asking well above market value......http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2007/suzuki/dr_z400sm/175508/

i paid just under $5600 out the door price for a brand new 09 sm with less than a mile on it from a local dealer. kbb values the 07 you are looking at for just under 4 for retail value. give it a good look over and if you are not comfortable doing it your self have the guy bring it into a shop and get a professional oppinion. might cost a little but it could save you a lot. just my opinion though

Remeber that all the extra's on it don't add up to really any higher cost, what ever we put into these machines is an instant loss of money. There are lots of SM's out there so if you have time shop around you can find them cheaper expetally in Cali. Have you ever ridden anything with clutch and gears? This is a great learner bike as well so you win either way, communting on the freeway is ok for short distances, seat will kill you. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Almost forgot check the oil, see what color it is. The person may of never have changed it.

That is a top premium price I can only assume the seller is willing to drop as needed or falsely believes his few extras are worth more than the market normally pays for stuff like that.

What larger tank for instance would make a big deal to me.. Clarke? That a $250 hit to price as I would want to replace the tank prior to riding the bike.. IMS 3.6.. I’d give a few extra for.

The Leo Vince exhaust.. again, is a hit to prices as Id replace it immediately, though you can sell it for a few $$ on ebay and recoup some funds.

If it was in perfect condition it is worth more if that is what you’re looking for..

Look at Craig’s list and ebay, local ads to see what your local market is getting for a like bike, then offer him something in that area.

I know the extras won''t add value, I'd actually be looking for a stock exhaust because I want it as quiet as can be living near a lot of homes.

I've ridden bigger bikes with clutches that won't be a problem.

Thanks for all your input guys!

It's a buyers market out there right now. I think your paying too much. I purchased my 07 sm in Jan of this year for $3500 with 7k miles.

My 07 sm with 6k miles was $3700 with Akroprovic exhaust and some other extras. I would want the metal gas tank just in case you need to get it inspected and they don't pass you on a plastic tank.

My '06 with 9k, Yosh pipe, sliders, other farkles was $2800 INCLUDING a new Shoei Hornet, a newish HJC, Alpinestars leather jacket, riding pants, various parts. I got a particularly great deal for all of that because he was leaving the country. Even so, I think you're too high on the price for an '07.

I also ride a Honda Interceptor and have owned a 100cc Zuma (Mexico...don't think they sold them here). The DRZ will be much more fun than the Zuma, though far less comfortable in your rear seat area. I hardly ride the Honda anymore because the DRZ is so much fun to throw around. It's the PERFECT city bike. You won't regret it. Look at the Immix rear rack before you decide. I highly recommend that one for utilitarian needs like you have. There are smaller and sexier racks, but if you need to carry stuff, Immix is great.

I just bought a 07 with 468 miles on it , big bore, 39mm flat slide ,MRD/SSW , for 4200. Look around if this is the one you like then good if not don't be afraid to search around till you find the one you like.

Dan

got my 07 sm w/18k on it for $2800 with a bunch of mods. already

Sidways you got a hellofahdeal go for you.

You are right there Mike Dana built the bike to race, but didnt have the time. He is going another route this year so he gave me a great deal. Awsome bike already done cept for some little farkles...

DSCN0863.jpg

Dan

Hey,

I looked around a lot through Fl and Georgia over the last month and found a few for $2800 to $3500 but they we're all pretty beat up and with 6 to 10K+ miles on them .

I found an 08 in mint shape all stock except for Renthal Fatbars and frame sliders from a dealer asking $5k , it only had 1100 miles on it , I got it for $4250 and they including putting in a shipping crate for me as I needed to get it to St Maarten on a ship.

I think the price you are getting the 07 for is o.k if it's really mint BUT you need to see it first , don't take the seller's word for it.

Cheers

Hey,

I looked around a lot through Fl and Georgia over the last month and found a few for $2800 to $3500 but they we're all pretty beat up and with 6 to 10K+ miles on them .

I found an 08 in mint shape all stock except for Renthal Fatbars and frame sliders from a dealer asking $5k , it only had 1100 miles on it , I got it for $4250 and they including putting in a shipping crate for me as I needed to get it to St Maarten on a ship.

I think the price you are getting the 07 for is o.k if it's really mint BUT you need to see it first , don't take the seller's word for it.

Cheers

That's sounds a reasonable deal as they crated it for you...http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2008/suzuki/dr_z400sm/233866/

Renthal Fatbars may have been stock for your 08...I know they were the stock item for my 09..

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

Hey,

Cheers

the only price that wasn't ridiculously high was the fella with the awesome stroker for $2800 or so, he got a really really nice deal. the rest are stupid high.

mmm, so you're buying sight unseen ? i'd say it doesn't really matter then (don't buy used) and just have a stealership send over a brand new bike for $4000 or so. i mean sure, if a dealer will ship you a brand new one for less, hop on it, but i wouldn't trust a regular joe to ship a bike, after payment.

good luck !

You are right there Mike Dana built the bike to race, but didnt have the time. He is going another route this year so he gave me a great deal. Awsome bike already done cept for some little farkles...

DSCN0863.jpg

Dan

Yep.. I know that bike :lol: Mike did a grat job on that and took excellent care of it also :banghead: He was fast on it too :)

I never knew that about the fatbars, I guess I just assumed with everyone

saying the stock bars we're junk that the renthals must have been an add on , but maybe Suzuki realized the issue and changed the bars in later years ?

I never knew that about the fatbars, I guess I just assumed with everyone

saying the stock bars we're junk that the renthals must have been an add on , but maybe Suzuki realized the issue and changed the bars in later years ?

As I mentioned in a previous thread..The fatbars held up well in my recent get off...Still as straight as ...