Sign in to follow this  

Rear Pad Spring

Hi guys

I took my rear brake caliper apart and the pad spring thing feel out. How does it go back in? Can some please take a picture or direct me to one on the internet?

Thanks

Mike

how about you take a pic trying to put it in and can tell ya if it's right? ya did notice it's high 30's here in FL today right? :lol:

I've had problems with that too, off hand I remember it sticks out much farther toward the back than you would think and goes in backwards of what you would think. Also it goes in very easy when you finally get it right.

Hey thanks guys. MELK-MAN actually I am in Canada Ontario Toronto now and it's 6c LOL. I found this image on the net it's of a crf150 but I think it installs the same way on the 450?.

CRF150R_705.jpg

the middle of the clip should grab the caliper body even with the piston.. if that was you holding the clip, just shift it to your right a couple inches.

hey thanks. here's a photo of my own. It just seems to kind of fall out. not sure if I have it right yet?

dscf0939i.jpg

yea, it can just fall. you can bend those tiny tabs a little and it gives the spring a little more grip. you should feel slight pressure on the pads when you try to slide the pin in. This spring does just that.. keeps a little pressure on the backing plate to keep the pads in place slightly vs. flopping around. It honestly is not 100% needed though..

Ok thanks for the help I think I final got it right. The pads drag a tiny bit not sure if that's normal or because the pads are brand new. Never had this much of a pain for something so minor. If the spring causes any more trouble I am just going to throw it away LOL

grease the pins. you can break the big one loose easier when it is on the bike.. then just pull the caliper out a bit and a quickie job is just slapping some grease on the pin and pushing back together. At some point down the road with more hours, pull the caliper halves apart and really clean and grease both pins. The front one (bigger) is more important.

Also pop the master cyl cap off once you have your new pads on. Want to be sure your not overfull with fluid now that the pads have pushed the piston way in displacing fluid. If you added fluid during the life of the pad if the cyl got low, your overful and it will build pressure dragging the pads. Do NOT overtighten those little 7mm bolt heads that hold the cap on, they can snap off pretty easy or strip. At very least, push the pedal, break the bleed nipple loose and let some fluid out. Check it catching it with a white paper towel to be sure it isn't mud for fluid.