Sign in to follow this  

Wear on dampening rod

Yesterday I put a post up asking some info on dismantling the cartridge on a 09 YZ 250F, thanks to Dave of Smart Performance I found his post with excellent pictures. What initiated this inquiry is thst I noticed the anodised coating worn off of the top of dampening rod for about 40 milmeters long and 8mm at it widest, the rod is still smooth with no ridges. The cartridge seal is not leaking, and when the dampening rod is compressed fully into the cartridge it extends back out for all but the last 40mm, I do have lighter ICS springs in the cartridge. Is this wear normal, should the dampening rod be changed or the seal? I have 170 hours on the bike and change the fork oil every 50 hours and run race Tech gold valves. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocky

Was this on the right fork leg or both?

Why I am asking is, I have noticed this type of wearing issues on several occasions, mostly on the right fork leg. I am of the opinion that this is do to improper fork alignment and possible bushing wear. This is where the fork is most to flex.(near full extension)

I am taking debris out of the equation ,as the wear seems to always be in the same location.

i have found that problem on all rod about 100 hours.

on showa never found that .i have 230 hours on my

:lol:

Better processing and thickness qualities. :)

sounds like no need to worry , it's not leaking so should be fine

i think the problem on kyb is the tolerance.too much on full extension.push down the sheath al move left-right the cartridge an look what tolerance on spring seat bushing!!

and the quality of the rod treatment is not good then showa

Front wheel is not alingned correctly or too much oil in the cartridge=not bleed correctly can cause this rod wear also. I would change that rod bush and the rod (at least the bush).