Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 wont start or go into neutral. (Stollen and recovered)

Hey guys,

I have a 98 kdx 200 that was stollen and I actually got it back! The problem now is it won't start or go into neutral. It has compression and if i hold the clutch in it kicks over but just will not start. I'm guessing the thiefs did something to the countershaft or shift drum assembly. I haven't taken off the cover look inside... Figuered I would see if this has happend to anyone... Maybe some good places to start. Any help would be great.

It shifts through all the gears fine I think. I can't get it started to see. It just skips from 1st to 2nd. It feels like I'm in neutral then when I go to move the bike it clicks into gear. I'm going to just take the cover off to see if the shift star (or the whole assembly) is busted. But if anyone has had a gear problem that has caused a bike to not run, let me know. I own a lot of bikes and have never had it happen but you never know.

Only a guess, but I've never had any luck trying to start a cold bike in gear with the lever pulled in.

Pull the chain and try to start it.

Oh, and congrats on getting it back. You're one of the lucky ones.

The thieves could have crashed and damaged the shift mechanism inside the case. I would look in there first, to make sure things return to center when released. The shaft itself could be bent also.

I'm thinking the starting problem is seperate from the shifting issue too. I don't think they were running mixed gas so the whole motor might be fried. The cop that found the kdx was following the guy on it and he stalled in the middle of the road. So it ran before i got it back. My yzf was totaled. In two pieces. That guy was in a highspeed chase that ended up with him in the hospital... Such a nightmare. At least they didn't get my 450.

Here it is before

5438939062_af722e79f5_z.jpg

And here it is after

6477892715_4e07667255_z.jpg

As far as the kdx is concerned they took all the stickers off and painted most of it black... Bent the rear part of the frame and did a NUMBER on the motor. Must be nice... Wrecking something you didn't pay for.

Who is dumb enough to steal a bright green bike? I don't even worry about someone stealing either of my dirt bikes. Bright green and bright yellow. Too obvious to not be seen in a small town.

Yeah, I guess that's why they painted it black. Honestly The yzf was worth a lot more but the kdx was the one that was painfull. I put a ton of time into making that kdx really nice. That thing was mint untill this happened. You can see a snap shot of it in my garrage. I'll try to post new pics of what they did to it.

Sucks man. Can't you sue for property damage?

My buddy got his brand new YZ450 stolen. The credit company didn't want to hear it and he had to pay the whole thing off.

Ok so I pulled the right side case off and the main bolt that holds the clutch basket in is completely frozen on there. I heated it, used the most powerful torque wrenches I could get my hands on and still wont come off. The good news is that It is shifting nicely through all the gears... (What the HELL!!!!) Bad news i decided to gentley kick it over to see if it felt like the piston was moving through the stroke and see what the clutches did, and the kick start feels like it's not going to TDC. I'm only getting about half the stroke i should be getting in the kick start lever. I'm going to pull the motor today and see what I can come up with. It doesn't feel like a blown motor (I have had plenty of those) but i'm not sure they put mixed gas in it so who knows.

Any advice?

Sucks man. Can't you sue for property damage?

My buddy got his brand new YZ450 stolen. The credit company didn't want to hear it and he had to pay the whole thing off.

Unfortunately not. The guy they found on the KDX claimed he didn't know it was stollen so we have no evidence on the guy. The bastard that went to the hospital on my yzf is in hidding and if they ever find him he'll be charged with the theft. Maybe then I'll get some kind of compensation. We'll see. :smirk:

Who is dumb enough to steal a bright green bike?

You mean "what thief is smart enough" right?