Sign in to follow this  

New to KTM What is this bolt behind the shifter?

I recently got a 2006 KTM 525 EXC and I am not sure what this bolt is behind the shifter.

I have my motor unbolted from the bike to fix a stripped out oil drain bolt with a timesert and noticed this bolt looks like it is in there crooked.

First what is this bolt? I could not remove it with a normal 3/8" ratchet. I didn't want to get the longer ratchet out and break it free until I know what it is.

Also is it suppose to be countersunk in like this? or did the PO cross thread it?

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Edited by BMuu

Do you have a manual for the bike?

That's the long oil screen. There is 1 on the bottom of the motor also. Along with the 2 oil filters, these need to be cleaned when you change your oil. Here, watch this.

:lol:

And yes, it is supposed to be at a slight angle down.

I only have the spare parts manuals for my bike and ironically that bolt is shown as just a hole and no part number is shown.

Thanks for the help! I was suspecting it was another screen filter, I saw the allen head one on the bottom and cleaned that. Looks like I need to break the other one free and clean it as well.

I can't believe the KTM has 4 freaking filters!!

I think its good the more protection you have the better it is.I only clean my screens every other oil change because they never really get dirty.

Also, change that bottom-screen (allen) bolt out to a hex bolt.:lol:

I only have the spare parts manuals for my bike and ironically that bolt is shown as just a hole and no part number is shown.

Thanks for the help! I was suspecting it was another screen filter, I saw the allen head one on the bottom and cleaned that. Looks like I need to break the other one free and clean it as well.

I can't believe the KTM has 4 freaking filters!!

2 filters to screens LOL

change the oil about every 15 hours, new filters every 2nd or 3rd oil change, clean the 2 screens every time, it will last forever!

I do filters and clean screens every other change also. Doesn't take long, it just gets messy when you do. :lol:

Thanks guys! I took it apart and cleaned the filters and screens.

It has the stainless filters in it currently just like my yz450f so I'm used to cleaning those.

Now I just need to get that timesert kit in the mail so I can put it back together! I have been cleanin and regreasing and adjusting everything. I haven't even put 1 hour on the bike yet!

Where can I get the hex bolt to replace the allen head screen bolt?

Here is a pic of the bike the day I got it before I took it apart photo.jpg

Thanks guys! I took it apart and cleaned the filters and screens.

It has the stainless filters in it currently just like my yz450f so I'm used to cleaning those.

Now I just need to get that timesert kit in the mail so I can put it back together! I have been cleanin and regreasing and adjusting everything. I haven't even put 1 hour on the bike yet!

Where can I get the hex bolt to replace the allen head screen bolt?

Here is a pic of the bike the day I got it before I took it apart photo.jpg

http://slavensracing.com/products/engine/oil-filter-screen-drain-plug-bolt-for-ktm-husaberg

or

http://proracedesigns.com/product-rfsdrainplug.html

or

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/ktm-search.php?partnumber=77038017000

I used the KTM replacement p/n 77038017000, no problems.

Edited by topi1967

I don't know if the old style rfs plug is even available from ktm because it's been replaced by the 530 style plug with torx and hex. That plug is the right one I think.

I don't know if the old style rfs plug is even available from ktm because it's been replaced by the 530 style plug with torx and hex. That plug is the right one I think.

the KTM replacement p/n 77038017000 is a torx and hex bolt.