Sign in to follow this  

G Force Chip in a Gasser

The old saying, if it to good to be true, prolly is. Heres my question. My wife read some where about a chip that can be installed in a gas engine veichle, and gain 3-8 mpg, and some HP. I know these work for the Deisel engine crowd, but had not heard of this for gas engines. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge with this?? Cost seem to be 60-80 dollars, 5-10 minutes install. I've read reveiws, but don't trust everything I've read. So I am turning to Thumper Talk for some knowledge. Thanks,Cman.

my friend put one on his jeep cherokee and it ran the same except the service engine light came on, never got a chance to scan it he just took it out and it went off. my boss says they work well if you get the right one im not sure what a good brand is but ive seen the 20 dollar ones on ebay that claim ridiculous numbers like 100hp. boss says the best ones may give you 5-10% in hp and a couple mpg again not sure which ones those are although he seemed to think they would cost around $200 bucks for a decent one.

my friend put one on his jeep cherokee and it ran the same except the service engine light came on, never got a chance to scan it he just took it out and it went off. my boss says they work well if you get the right one im not sure what a good brand is but ive seen the 20 dollar ones on ebay that claim ridiculous numbers like 100hp. boss says the best ones may give you 5-10% in hp and a couple mpg again not sure which ones those are although he seemed to think they would cost around $200 bucks for a decent one.

This is what most chips will do. They are basically screwing with the ecu and confusing it causing a cel. That is what the cheap chips do. Most confuse the ecu into thinking the outside air is a certain temperature which is suppose to make it run better but that's a load of crap. The ecu can't change fuel mixture etc. to compensate for a change in temperature. That is what this gforce garbage thing does. A decent tuner costs a lot more than 60 bucks. I think they run about 700-800 for my car. I wouldn't buy anything like this to increase mpg. I wouldn't believe anything I saw on the internet about something like that. Most of the tuners aren't out to improve mpg but are to improve hp. And on a N/A gas engine will not do all that much maybe a 5% increase in power. Now a turbo car like mine can easily gain 40 hp (only a 2.0 4cyl) from a tuner, leaving everything else stock.

So if the tuning device does not plug into the obdII port or does not involve reprogramming the ecu through a laptop it's just junk. A superchip tuners are about as cheap as you can get and offer a variety of tuning options depending on what you want. This type of tuner will also change shift points to help increase performance or increase fuel economy. But generally car manufacturers have the ecu setup for the best mpg and least emissions already.

Oh a chip is different from a tuner. A chip, is a chip. A tuner is an actual device that is similar to a computer used to reprogram the ecu. People often say their car/truck is chipped but they are referring to using a tuner, so sometimes people get confused between the two.

Edited by 79yamdt

3-8 mpg gain in a truck? So your average truck gets like 18 highway so by throwing on a chip you'll get 26 mpg right? so that's almost a 50% increase in fuel economy. Ever hear of any truck getting that kind of mileage? Maybe a little 2wd ranger or something. Even 3mpg is unrealistic, that's like a 17% increase in mpg just by throwing a chip in the engine bay. Don't you think vehicle manufacturers would have already done this to their trucks instead of having to redesign their trucks and add air dams, that will get ripped off if they are taken offroad, and other things to decrease their drag.

79yamdt

you seem to know more about this than me, i was under the impression that the chips ritchened the mixture up everywhere by altering the signal coming from the ecu to compensate for the lean condition most cars are running at from the factory. is this at all true?

79yamdt

you seem to know more about this than me, i was under the impression that the chips ritchened the mixture up everywhere by altering the signal coming from the ecu to compensate for the lean condition most cars are running at from the factory. is this at all true?

I do believe you are correct about richening up the mixture. Different chips may work in different ways but most alter the data going into the ecu. The more expensive chips, such as the one the op has listed, may just alter the data to allow the car to run at a richer mixture but still compensate for change in temp. I do not know this for sure though. I know that many of these chips just confuse the ecu into thinking its a certain temp. I forget what it is something like 40 degrees. When its colder out an engine needs more fuel to run so yes you are correct. But a richened mixture will not lead to the benefits listed such as increased mpg or decreased emissions right?

I would just stay away from these chips, it seems they could cause more damage than good. An overly rich mixture will help shorten the life of expensive emissions control equipment.

I do believe you are correct about richening up the mixture. Different chips may work in different ways but most alter the data going into the ecu. The more expensive chips, such as the one the op has listed, may just alter the data to allow the car to run at a richer mixture but still compensate for change in temp. I do not know this for sure though. I know that many of these chips just confuse the ecu into thinking its a certain temp. I forget what it is something like 40 degrees. When its colder out an engine needs more fuel to run so yes you are correct. But a richened mixture will not lead to the benefits listed such as increased mpg or decreased emissions right?

I would just stay away from these chips, it seems they could cause more damage than good. An overly rich mixture will help shorten the life of expensive emissions control equipment.

yeah it seems like ritchening up the mixture would decrease mpg but most likely make more power since its running closer to stoich. i wonder if there's any overheating issues involved with using the chips. as you said its probably a good idea to avoid them

I kinda doubt it would cause overheating issues. A richer mixture should make your engine run cooler. Lean mixtures can kill engines because of heat. Well it depends a richer mixture doesn't correlate into increased hp unless your engine is running lean. Adding more gas to a mixture that is already overly rich is just wasteful and if anything hurt performance.

Anyways to the op

If you want an increase in mpg there are multiple things you can do to attain this that won't cost you anything.

-Running the thinnest oil recommended by the manufacturer (don't run 0w-20 in a car that calls for 10w-40)

-check your tire air pressure often

-get rid of any dead bodies or other things you don't need in your car/truck that are adding weight in your car/truck

-remove roof racks if your vehicle has them

-when you purchase a new set of tires buy ones with decreased rolling resistance (do you really need BFG mud terrains)

-watch your right foot

- when stuck in traffic learn to avoid stopping and starting by maintaining a speed and allowing a gap with the person in front of you, if you drive a stick you probably already do this so you don't have to shift as often

-sell your car/truck and get a motorcycle or two

My 95 chev van has a chip in the ecu. It was put in there to help with towing more than MPG. What it really does is change shift points so that the motor tranny combo are running in the torque curve a little longer, so acceleration and hill climbing while towing are a little better. Fuel mileage? It's got a 454, so it wouldn't be noticed much, beside climbing a mountain while towing a 24' trailer, which it would STABILIZE the whopping 10mpg it gets and let me climb that mountain going 50 instead of jumping shift points at 40-41 mph. So the real benifit for these things is prolonged engine/transmission life, when combined with upgraded cooling. Anyways to improve fuel economy and HP you have to do 3 things;

1)Increase airflow to the engine

2)Increase exhaust flow from the engine

3)Map the fuel flow correctly to use the #1 and #2 mods to a benefit.

Because just pumping more air to the engine doesn't do any good if it can't get out. Letting more exhaust out w/o more in? Well just read that statement.

and the actual valued use of that better breathing? thats controlled by the ECU and must be "programmed" to use it....."chipped" if you want to call it that.....(it is chipped if it's an older V8 with tbi, programmed if it uses tpi etc).