Sign in to follow this  

Another exhaust question...

Hi I've been trying to find out but I cand find any info on the stock silencers for late model 450 mx bikes.

I want to ask if they need repacking like the aftermarket systems.

My stock silencer is a bit screwd, and the FMF Q4 is a bit loud.

Now I've found many stock 450 silencers for quite cheap, but I'd like to ask if they need repacking and if they would be a little bit more quiet than the fmf, if not its fine if I dont have to repack them... (lazy)

Then I assume they flow better than stock and they weigh a lot less.

I can do the fabricating work myself and I would like to try that option.

And yes I know about the gsxr mod, but I cant find any silencers...

Any advice?

mxrob? ... :lol::worthy:

Yes, the stock MX silencers will all need repacking just like the after-market exhaust systems.... they will also not have a spark arrester. If you think the Q2/4 is too loud you will certainly not like the sound of the MX silencers on your machine.

Thank you for the help mxrob.

My stock silencer met a part of its antimatter and it was dented and scratched. ( No I didn't try to whip my bike )

The only reason why I chose the FMF Q4 is because it was one third of the price of a new stock one.

I suppose I could modify allmost any silencer to fit the DR as long as it isnt too long?

I've found a aprillia RSV mille silencer for very cheap, and a couple of yamaha R1 examples. I just cant track down the GSXR silencer.

Any advice that isnt GSXR based?

I tried a number of different sport bike mufflers on the DR650. Truly the 01/02 GSXR1000 form and fit is the best... at least of what I tried. But obviously I did not try everything out there. R1 mufflers are too big... very similar to the 03/04 GSXR muffler. I looked at newer GSXR 1000 mufflers like the 05... much heavier and strangely shaped... you could probably make one work with a bit of tinkering. No clue how it would flow or sound. There are a lot of other machines out there that could have another holy grail silencer like the 01/02 GSXR1000 muffler on them. Research is the only way to know for sure....

I just spoke with the owner of a small local exhaust manufacturer, and his quote to fit one of his custom made silencers and fabricate a midpipe was ZAR 1550.00 where the FMF Q4 cost me ZAR 3600.00.

The custom one costs usd 183.00.

I'll go there this afternoon (hoping for the rain to stop) and get all the info.

This might be a cheap alternative to the other options and I'll ask him if he would take orders from abroad. Or he might have a gsxr silencer laying around...:lol:

Thanks for the feedback mxrob, your a real asset to the DR community.:)

I will give feedback asap.:banghead:

Ok I went over to the factory where they make these silencers.

They will build you a silencer and a midpipe for ZAR 1550.00 excl shipping.

The silencers look very clean and neat, stainless body. They claim to use a different packing than the other mainstream manufacturers and there was one guy who only repacked his silencer after 5 years.

They have a couple of ZX10 racers using their products and they flow quite well.

The company is called stealth exhausts but I don't know if I can post contacd details?

If your interested you can google stealth exhausts and you should find them.

I'm planning to fit one next year.

If it's ok I'll post contact details?