Sign in to follow this  

Shock spacer thickness? Shockdoc?

I've rebuilt many shocks and forks over the years so I do know my way around. Im getting ready to set up my 98 yz125 and my 96 kdx200 for some ice riding/racing and am going to rebuild and shorten my rear shocks. I searched the crap out of the interweb look for ratios for these suspensions (yea, pulled the shocks before doing the measurements:bonk:) and had no luck. How thick of a spacer do I need to drop the rear 4"?

Shockdoc, I have a technical "what if" for you. Why can't we storten the shocks by machining a spacer to put on the OUTSIDE, between the seal head and the circlip? then we could change them without disassembly and maybe just topping or venting oil thru compr adj? Just a thought. Any info would be appreciated

i would say it would have to be about a 33mm spacer to acheive 4in at the mudguard

For both bikes? They have the same approximate ratios? I had heard 1 1/4" and 33mm is pretty close!

I've rebuilt many shocks and forks over the years so I do know my way around. Im getting ready to set up my 98 yz125 and my 96 kdx200 for some ice riding/racing and am going to rebuild and shorten my rear shocks. I searched the crap out of the interweb look for ratios for these suspensions (yea, pulled the shocks before doing the measurements:bonk:) and had no luck. How thick of a spacer do I need to drop the rear 4"?

Shockdoc, I have a technical "what if" for you. Why can't we storten the shocks by machining a spacer to put on the OUTSIDE, between the seal head and the circlip? then we could change them without disassembly and maybe just topping or venting oil thru compr adj? Just a thought. Any info would be appreciated

I think you could put a spacer between the seal hd & cir clip. It's been done on WP shocks I know.

I've shortened a few bikes for some flat trackers around here. One was a CRF450 that I lowered 5 inches. To figure what exact size spacer needed I usually just take the shock off, remove the spring, then put the shock back on. Then take a sharpie and mark the chrome shaft where it comes out of the body.

Once you've done that then you can easily take the rear wheel and lift it up however many inches you want to lower it and then use a the sharpie to mark a 2nd line on the chrome shaft where it comes out of the body.

The difference between the 2 is the size spacer you need.

doc

What do you suggest that would be readily available for making a spacer? Are there plastics available like you would find at a hardware store that would be suitable in a shock? Thanks for the info.

What do you suggest that would be readily available for making a spacer? Are there plastics available like you would find at a hardware store that would be suitable in a shock? Thanks for the info.

I just have my machinist make me a new base plate with the added thickness you want to lower...

doc