Sign in to follow this  

Fastners used on DRZ's

Does anyone know what the fasteners used on the DRZ are coated with....if one can but other than at dealership. They have that grayish--to greenish hue to them. Used on the clutch cover, stator cover, bolt just ahead of the rear brake resivor..etc..etc. The reason I ask is they never seem to RUST ever. Would like to know a technical name so I could possibly purchase for other stuff also. Or should i just use stainless???

Thanks

Craig

i Have replaced nearly every bolt on my bike with stainless. Just need to do the centre crankcase bolts now and i missed one under the seat. All the engine mounts and everything are stainless.

I vote stainless incase you didn't get that:busted:

The fasteners are steel. Most are strength 8.8 (kind of like US grade 5). The fasteners are zinc platted. The greenish fasteners are zinc platted and chromate treated. There are various colors that can be achieved with the chromate process. Standard color is kind of yellowish but greenish and all the way to black is possible.

I saw the reply to use of stainless steel. This is a very important warning, make sure if using stainless to put anti seize on the threads, especially if threading into Aluminum or magnesium If not the bolt could very likely break by galling the threads. if this happens the remainder of bolt locks itself in place and is VERY difficult to remove.

I saw the reply to use of stainless steel. This is a very important warning, make sure if using stainless to put anti seize on the threads, especially if threading into Aluminum or magnesium If not the bolt could very likely break by galling the threads. if this happens the remainder of bolt locks itself in place and is VERY difficult to remove.

What he said!!!

Personally I wouldn't use stainless on any of my bikes.. and defiantly not for structural purposes ie; engine bolts!!

I have to disagree on the stainless bolts. They will be fine anywhere on the DRZ. Galling is most severe with stainless to stainless. Not a big problem with stainless to aluminum. Some grease, oil or anti-seize is good practice. As long as you are not riding your DRZ i salt water the potential between stainless and aluminum with not promote corrosion.

I have to disagree on the stainless bolts. They will be fine anywhere on the DRZ. Galling is most severe with stainless to stainless. Not a big problem with stainless to aluminum. Some grease, oil or anti-seize is good practice. As long as you are not riding your DRZ i salt water the potential between stainless and aluminum with not promote corrosion.

+1 :lol:

I understand anyone with salt water marine experience comes across with this same "Warring" , and from there experience it makes sense as I understand in that it's a real problem.

In practical real use for motorcycles it simply is a non issue.

Use of Anti-seize, lube or thread locker / sealant completely does away with any of these concerns...

Stainless Steel fastener use in a motorcycle motor works just fine

The fasteners are steel. Most are strength 8.8 (kind of like US grade 5). The fasteners are zinc platted. The greenish fasteners are zinc platted and chromate treated. There are various colors that can be achieved with the chromate process. Standard color is kind of yellowish but greenish and all the way to black is possible.

Mmmm..now just to find them with the chromate process. They actually aren't for the DRZ at this time. I want to use them on my Suzuki Sidekick.

I also agree with no problem using stainless. I have used stainless for years for the radiator shrouds and the side covers where bolts are used.

Also isn't stainless used quite extensively in the marine industry?? It's all one dealer here stocks.

I must disagree with your opinion on SS to AL and galling. It's the properties of SS metallurgy, I can't get technical here, just real world experience. Thread SS into AL without any anti-seize and some torque and the bolt is very likely (maybe only a 10% chance depending on torque) to break or seize!!!!!! Bad thing is due to the galling it becomes very hard to remove as the threads become locked in place. To put it very simply, imagine metal rolling off the threads and sticking to the AL, locking the bolt in place.

This isn't to be confused w/ galvanic corrosion, which is due to electrolysis of the two dissimilar metals.

Whenever using SS, always put anti seize on the threads...always!!!

I must disagree with your opinion on SS to AL and galling. It's the properties of SS metallurgy, I can't get technical here, just real world experience. Thread SS into AL without any anti-seize and some torque and the bolt is very likely (maybe only a 10% chance depending on torque) to break or seize!!!!!! Bad thing is due to the galling it becomes very hard to remove as the threads become locked in place. To put it very simply, imagine metal rolling off the threads and sticking to the AL, locking the bolt in place.

This isn't to be confused w/ galvanic corrosion, which is due to electrolysis of the two dissimilar metals.

Whenever using SS, always put anti seize on the threads...always!!!

Pretty sure thats what was said

+1 :lol:

In practical real use for motorcycles it simply is a non issue.

Use of Anti-seize, lube or thread locker / sealant completely does away with any of these concerns...

Stainless Steel fastener use in a motorcycle motor works just fine

I responded to the statement i believe to be misguided, and incorrect

"Personally I wouldn't use stainless on any of my bikes.. and defiantly not for structural purposes ie; engine bolts!!"

:)

Use don't use, sounds like a personal choice.. my experience shows they work just fine, as they seem to for a whole lot of others. If not for another user, use something else :banghead:

I have always been aware of stainless in stainless seizing badly over time and aly etc, although i always believed to a lesser extent, and have always used copper grease/ loctite with zero issues. Ever.

I don't use stainless on brake caliper bolts/disc bolts due to A2-70 stainless(the grade i am using) has a lower tensile strength than the 8.8 grade standard bolts by 180nm/mm2. Also i believe the shear strength is lower also. So for this reason i don't risk it on the brakes.

However, i believe the engine mounts are absolutely fine to use the stainless bolts with mainly due to the physical size of the bolts and also due to the area/ amount of mounts the load is spread across. Just my opinion and experience and what i like, probably not for everyone.

Oh and i hate rusty bits.

I have seen engine bolts supplied by a reputable frame manufacturer sheared... 3 out of 5 on it's first race meeting. All stainless. I don't have any issues with people that want to use them on their bikes, just saying that I wouldn't do it on my own bike or a customers :lol: