2001 YZ-250 Winter Rebuild

183990_225608367475278_100000783504000_546764_5396340_n.jpg

Well here is a picture of her in the early summer. Nothing has changed much but she's worn from a summer of riding. So far I only had to replace front spacers/bearings and fork seals. I can't complain considering I only paid $1000. I'm planning on doing a top end, tire swap, and most likely all sorts of bearing changes if things look worn.

I NEED YOUR HELP.

Where do I start guys? I would like to start taking this thing apart now that way I know what parts I need and I can have them ordered for X-Mas. Obviously empty the tank, but how is this done? Just pull the clamp off the hose and pull the hose off the carb?

Also I'll be draining the oil so would it be ok for the bike to sit for like a month with no oil in the gearbox? As well as the radiators being drained.

I will post up all pictures and keep you guys updated through the holidays. Thanks again,

Zach.

should be a fun project. you are correct on how to drain the gas. and i dont see a real reason why draining the oil and radiators will hurt. my motor has been put together for a few months now with no oil in it.

Yeah I enjoy doing my own work. Gives me that piece of mind that if anything goes wrong down the road I'll know how to fix it. Pretty much Rockymountaintatvmc videos will be my guide through this whole process. Well, and TT members:thumbsup:

Oh I have done that bike, that year, and so well worth it.

Bare Frame, Take bearings to a bearing supply house and save big money.

Rear shock rebuild is a must, top end is cheap and easy. Check your clutch basket

too. Paint is cheap as well as sand paper. You will have a near new 01 250 when done.

Oh I have done that bike, that year, and so well worth it.

Bare Frame, Take bearings to a bearing supply house and save big money.

Rear shock rebuild is a must, top end is cheap and easy. Check your clutch basket

too. Paint is cheap as well as sand paper. You will have a near new 01 250 when done.

My rear seems ok but we'll see how my funds are. College student:( But I do have a buddy who is certified in duracoating. Possibly I might have him do my subframe and accents. Like levers, shifters. I know he'll do those for free but I'm not to sure about the whole frame.

I just drained all fluids, everything seemed to be the same amount as I put in so all is good so far. I'm going to start disassembly. I'll get a pic and give you guys an update tonight.?

I would definately throw a top end in the bike. And since you have your cylinder off maybe take a look at your reeds as well. I'd strip the whole thing down and clean, regrease or replace bearings.

Uhhh....I said I'm doing everything you specified in my first post.?

Ok so here's the update. Of course everything goes smooth until the end.....?

Photo0751.jpg

I think the plug looks good. Light brown. Not to light and not too dark.Photo0752.jpg

From the look, what do you guys think of it? Only that little bit of black in the centerPhoto0753.jpg

OK....Here she is. It figures just my luck. Well I can't seem to get it off. I'm not going to make it any worse than it is, so I'm done for the night. It's not as bad as it looks, it still has bite so I could have tried again but I'm not risking it. I've already snapped my small/medium ratchet trying to get it off.? Any suggestions to get it off? I already hit it with some PB Blaster so I'll let it soak in over night. Possibly heat it up?Photo0754.jpg

Not with that attitude!?

Or with my Student Loans:bonk:

But yeah anyway, anyway to get off that stubborn bolt guys? Its the kickstarter side. Should I possible torque back down the other side to maybe take some tension off the right side?

I have that same FMF stand? and also doing this same exact thing over Christmas to my bike. Top end, regrease, bearings, seals, top end, reeds, re pack silencer, etc. etc. I love it!

That bolt looks pretty nasty. Someone said cut it off with a dremel, but then the rest of the bolt would still be stuck down into the case, correct? Good luck, it's not that big of a deal.

I have that same FMF stand? and also doing this same exact thing over Christmas to my bike. Top end, regrease, bearings, seals, top end, reeds, re pack silencer, etc. etc. I love it!

That bolt looks pretty nasty. Someone said cut it off with a dremel, but then the rest of the bolt would still be stuck down into the case, correct? Good luck, it's not that big of a deal.

No, the "screws" are set in the bottom end so if it comes down to it, I could carefully cut it without nicking the screw.

But getting a dremel requires asking the old man. Dad asks "for what". I show him. Dad-(How the **** do you manage that).......

The first place to start is with total disassembly. Take pictures , and put your fasteners in labeled Ziploc bags, that way you know where they go.

It's not to hard to put it back together unless you do what i did, and take it apart in December, and put it back together in March.

I powder coated the frame, bought all new plastics and graphics, new linkage bearings, greased all other bearings.

The Engine had been rebuilt the year before so i didn't touch anything internal.

Before:

100_0491.jpg

After:

100_0595_a.jpg