Pros and cons of fuel injection.

I have recently been thinking of getting a 450 r. I have been told that a carbed bike are the way to go. You guys with the fuel injection, what do you think? If I wanted to add exhaust or any mods would I have to mess with the computer? Thanks.

I just got an efi bike. I got a 2012 crf250r coming off an 07 crf250r(carb). The efi bike wont even bog if I want it to. It is great. Just twisting the throtle on them feels so much diffrent. If you added an exaust you should probably remap it but on a carb bike you would have to rejet it. Its basically the same thing.

buy a newer bike, but if it doesn't have woods gear be prepared to spend some on it.?

from what I have been reading, I will need to do the suspension. Is that what you mean? You see I have an X now, and love the E start, but the R being so much lighter is awesome! I just dont know how I will do kicking it on hills and crap.

I have owned a 450x and curently own a 250R and 450R. Get a R and revalve and spring for your weight and you will like alot. Much lighter than a X.

Get a rekluse and you wont have to worry about kicking it on the side of a hill.

I'm not familiar with the rekluse... How would that help me?Thanks!

I got a 11 450r few months ago. At first I did not like the bike. It stalled a lot and seemed a bit wild. I had the bike re-mapped and have put some hours on the bike and it is great now. I ride 99% desert and the bike is really starting to come alive. Starts on the first couple of kicks and runs very good. My body's are always trying to make adjustments in camp on theirs, mine just starts and goes. I like the x and the idea of electric start, but the weight savings was important to me. I will end up spending more money on things I feel I need to make it a good desert bike, but I am good with that.

I'm not familiar with the rekluse... How would that help me?Thanks!

Rekluse is a auto clutch system. Best thing since sliced bread for technical riding IMO. I race HS/CC. Stall my bikes much less and technical hill climbs are much easier. The rekluse also helps with power delivery of my 450. Not as big a hit when the throttle is cracked agressively at lower rpms. With a rekluse, you wont miss the e button near as much.

I have a 08 CRF450R. It will start first kick every time when warm .

FI scares me! More parts to fail and leave me stranded.

Upgrades are a PITA because a re-map is needed.

Fuel atomization is better thus more power can be made with less resistance to detonation. How much more power I don't really know.

I am a firm believer in carbed engines for dirt bikes. Street bikes or cars is another story.

If you have access to a programmer and a dyno it can be tuned fairly easy with FI.

They both have their merits and pitfalls.

A properly tuned FI vs properly tuned carb will net the same performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not even a question. Fuel injection is hands down by far better then a carb. There is no delay like a carb has. No on/off gas lever. no bog. Mapping is very easy. I put a fmf on my 2010yz 450 and needed no re mapping. Ride one and you will never go back to a carb.

let me ask you this would anyone of you buy a new car with a carb? there is no doubt efi is so much better and more tunable too the fuel and timing curves are limitless where with a carb you are stuck with a 2 or 3 circut carb and it is just not as tuneable.i took a efi course years ago and when i saw the advantages i couldn't figure why the bikes did not go to efi sooner. cost was probably an issue.

Car vs. Dirt Bike EFI is different. Car's run a o2 Sensor in the exhaust, bikes don't unless they are EPA approved (Green Sticker/Street Legal). So dirt bike EFI has come a long way, but not quite perfect yet. I had a 08 Husky TE510 and the EFI sucked, but they seemed to have resolved the issues. Any way I did get stuck on a ride that required a truck ride back to the house with the 510, turned out the CPU plug was loose. Never the less on the trail troubleshooting is going to be tough.

Why would EFI scare anyone? Well...its an unknown to them, they assume they cant fix it if something goes wrong and they really dont know how it works.

All of those things, especially with an OPEN loop set up like dirt bikes have are easily over come. You dont have the O2 sensor to deal with. Although the Closed loop setups are more accurate all the time, you dont need that kind of accuracy. Hell, you think a carb is that accurate? Not even a perfectly jetted carb is that accurate all the time. At least with an open loop FI your MAP sensor and IAT's are taking info and making adjustments your carb isnt ever going to make.

Fuel pressure, fuel flow and decent connections. Thats all EFI needs. Once its mapped properly.

90% of EFI issues from the factory are the MAPS. The factory throws a generic map at it and rolls it out.

Most guys issues with EFI are not having the programmers to deal with getting it right, but I blame that on the friggin factories. If they're going to offer something as maintenance intensive as a dirt bike with EFI, especially if they're going to charge almost $10,000 for it, oughta come with at least a three button programmer.