Sign in to follow this  

2011 ktm350sxf upgrade choices

First of all, love the bike, put 60 hours of mx racing on it already now time for winter overhaul. Now I am stuck between two main choices 1: ht racing bug bore with porting or 2: new high comp piston, yosh tuner and drd exhaust. Opinions? Already have map switch, quick turn throttle and geared 13:50, or 13:51 depending on track. Looking for more power for next season as I came off 450.

Go the Ht 400 big bore !!

cost less than an full exaust system for more torque and hp gains everywhere !!

read rickks posts !!

I should have mine any day !! ohh the wait for that package to come at work !!!

-Don't get the DR.D! It doesn't produce the best power on the 350 by far. Have a look at a german comparison test on several different exhausts here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012942&highlight=best+exhaust+350

That said i got the full stainless system from Yoshimura for 405$ at oemcycle. Best deal i could find. That said best deal might be to just get the slip-on silencer. I don't think the header makes a big difference at all and it is a pain in the a$$ to replace. Usually the slip-ons make all of the power at Yoshimura. Just go to their website and look at the power graphs!

-As you already did gear it up 1 tooth.Me too i went to a 51t

-Map switch (best upgrade of all)

-Get a lightweight battery. This saves over 2 lbs high up on the bike. No loss in performance. I chose the FULL SPECTRUM PULSE P1 Battery: a full 1010g lighter than the stock one which weighs somewhere around 1500g. I choose this one as it too has a cage, fits the stock battery holder perfect and doesn't need any special padding, zip-ties etc.. it's basically a 2 minute deal to switch out the battery.

-250 SX filter cage without backfire screen. The screen eventually starts falling apart anyway so i replaced it right away with the stock part of the 250 2-stroke.

-The 350 needs a lot of revs and a lot of air as well.I recommend to get the dust-cover from KTM. The..It is a orange coloured kind of a "filter-skin" made by Twin-Air. Not only keeps it the dust and dirt out but it allows you to get away with let's say 3 times less filter changes! I used these covers on my Honda 125s as well and it really keeps any dirt away from your filters while not restricting airflow at all. The plastic-like texture won't get sucked with filter oil from the filter underneath so it stays dry and really let's just fall all the dust and dirt off of the filter.Unlike real filter-skins which get clogged as well. It's this one:http://www.ktm-parts.com/59006022000.html

Other than that just learn to ride the 350 as it needs to be ridden.Keep a little more momentum in corners than you might have had on your 450 but enjoy the light feel and super flickable handling!

Edited by nino

Thanks for the input guys. One vote each direction. I've read both sides of the debate on here and I'm on the fence. I have filter cage from twostroke on already and wash air filter every ride, cheap insurance against dirt IMO. With 60 hours on bike it's getting a piston either way so I'm leaning towards taking the ht racing plunge! I will probably consider slip on in the spring. Thanks for posting the pipe comparison link! Oh and I already changed battery out for one with more oomph. Probably same weight as stocker though.

Thanks for the input guys. One vote each direction. I've read both sides of the debate on here and I'm on the fence. I have filter cage from twostroke on already and wash air filter every ride, cheap insurance against dirt IMO. With 60 hours on bike it's getting a piston either way so I'm leaning towards taking the ht racing plunge! I will probably consider slip on in the spring. Thanks for posting the pipe comparison link! Oh and I already changed battery out for one with more oomph. Probably same weight as stocker though.

Yeah-washing the filter every ride is a good thing.I did it as well for 15 years of my racing career.If you love to do that go ahead...but you can save all the hassle of constant washing and replacing filters by using that special "filterskin" i showed above. You can thank me later as it really allows you to ride a filter at least 3-4 times longer than normal. There is absolutely NO dirt getting in there. Your motor gets all the air it needs all the time, not just in the beginning of the day. I sometimes got several days of ridimh with the same filter when before after every moto i needed to change the filter for a fresh one.

Why would you want a stronger battery? If you are doing woods or enduro riding ok, or if you use your bike in a very cold climate maybe, but for moto use i never felt need for a more powerful battery.The lighter batteries offer the same performance but weigh just so much less. Even the stock one is more than powerful enough.I just spent a whole week in italy doing some enduro-riding with a stock EXC-F 350 , lots of trailriding, lot's of ON-OFF of the motor and never ever has the battery shown any sign of weakness.

Nino I know you have said not to use the Dr.D Exhaust but were you testing a first generation? The reason I ask is because I got one a couple months ago and the thing is fantastic. I felt a better reponse off the bottom and way better pull through the mid. I can chug shap turns in 3rd if I don't want to bark it.

I would definetely go with the BUG bore get the grasshopper though not the cricket way more power. :lol:

Nino I know you have said not to use the Dr.D Exhaust but were you testing a first generation? The reason I ask is because I got one a couple months ago and the thing is fantastic. I felt a better reponse off the bottom and way better pull through the mid. I can chug shap turns in 3rd if I don't want to bark it.

I wasn't testing it personally at all.It was a german mag doing a comparison test. Faced against the competition it definitely wasn't in the leading group though. It is better than the stock one (every exhaust system was) but not nearly as much better than the Yoshimura,Akrapovic,LeoVince and FMF.

i just put a full fmf 4.1 ti system on with megabomb header first straight away i opened up the throttle and i could tell there was alot more mid range power

im still on stock gearing right now but looking to go +2 im a tall rider 6'4 so got some weight on me

also im gonna get a the filter cage from DT1 filters it has more points for the filter to hook onto, the stock ktm cage only has 3 points and they tested in europe and found the filter would get sucked into the cage and lost the seal

I wasn't testing it personally at all.It was a german mag doing a comparison test. Faced against the competition it definitely wasn't in the leading group though. It is better than the stock one (every exhaust system was) but not nearly as much better than the Yoshimura,Akrapovic,LeoVince and FMF.

Gotcha. I would love to see dynos of all of them to compare. My 11 just needs a 12 map or something from Factory services to move the power around like everyone says. Honestly though I had a good hard think on it the other night and decided that I need to stop tuning and crosstrain more....better than any map or exhaust and is what will give me the extra oomph. Purchasing a trainer for the roadbike!