Sign in to follow this  

Piston kit VS Rings

I've got around 30 hours on my piston and was going to put in a whole new piston at 50 hours.

BUT, Would there be any benefit from putting in a whole new piston rather than just new rings ?

It would be a lot cheaper !

Thanks

i think you go for the compl. piston . the only bike where i only replace the rings is a ktm sxf 250 with the stock elko piston . its amaising strong ,but the pistons from the jap.bike,s ar not so strong and good crack, even a vertex will crack .

Piston cracking ? I've not heard of that ?

On my last piston i got close to 100 hours without problems, I'm at 30 on this one

I've got quite a good amount of experience being a budget rider and I'd say buy the rings only for now. The piston will survive a good while. I change my piston about every 100 hours and rings maybe twice in that time period.

Just for piece of mind, the aftermarket pistons are a much higher quality piston. I would suggest a JE or Moose (CP).

I notice the engine getting soft after about 4-5 hours.The ring starts to fade around then. This is a 14.5:1 comp engine with valve springs,cam,and ported head. I run VP U4.4 fuel. I am racing/ practicing not trail riding. In 250f classes hp is king you better bring it. My motor builders says to rering when It starts feeling soft. Use a wisco or if you have the money a CP. Clean up the valves and valve seats. De carbon the piston,head and ports.