Sign in to follow this  

Washington Discover Passes for disabled vets – HB2161

HB2161 would give disabled veterans free Discover Passes.

This bill is sponsored by Representatives Bailey, Orwall, McCune, Zeiger and Cody.:lol:

See link:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2161&year=2011

If you like this piece of legislation let both your Washington State House of Representatives members know.

If don’t know who they are or how to contact them, go to:

www.leg.wa.gov

and the exemption floodgate creaks open...

It is consistant with the state parks exemption that they received prior to the d-pass enactment.

And it is the right thing to do.

It's a tiny gesture to honor the men and women that got f'ed up for life protecting our freedom.

and the exemption floodgate creaks open...

Like I have said before, make the exemptions fair, straight across the board.

If one department offers an exemption then all departments offer the same exemption, or, if one does not then all do not.

Don't you think that your ORV tab should get you the same benefits (no discover pass required) as does the camp site receipt (State parks), holders of certain hunting and fishing licenses (WDFW) and Sno-Park seasonal permit holders?

I for one have no problem with it.

It is consistant with the state parks exemption that they received prior to the d-pass enactment.

And it is the right thing to do.

It's a tiny gesture to honor the men and women that got f'ed up for life protecting our freedom.

I never have a problem with those that have paid their dues :)

:lol:

This state already has a access system in place for disabled veterans to have free access to parks and recreations. However, when they wrote the legislation for the discover pass they specifically wrote in there the vets were not exempt. Go figure.

This state already has a access system in place for disabled veterans to have free access to parks and recreations. However, when they wrote the legislation for the discover pass they specifically wrote in there the vets were not exempt. Go figure.

The House version of the d-pass bill was becoming overwhelmed with exeptions and Senator Ranker, the sponsor of the Senate version decided to hold the line on exemptions to avoid his bill stalling out or turning into a cluster.

HB2161 has been assigned to the House State Government & Tribal Affairs Committee.

If you support this bill, it would be a good idea to let them know.

Email addresses below:

hunt.sam@leg.wa.gov

appleton.sherry@leg.wa.gov

taylor.david@leg.wa.gov

overstreet.jason@leg.wa.gov

alexander.gary@leg.wa.gov

condotta.cary@leg.wa.gov

darneille.jeannie@leg.wa.gov

dunshee.hans@leg.wa.gov

hurst.christopher@leg.wa.gov

mddoy.john@leg.wa.gov

miloscia@mark@leg.wa.gov

Military retirees and anyone with a service related permanent disability should all get free access to all state trust lands in my opinion.

It is because of the sacrifices that they made with their bodies over 20 years or more that our state legislature has the ability to hose everything up as bad as they do.

Thanks for replies, it takes some of the guilt factor away. I never used the exemptions until job issues hit. Here's what I sent Sen. McCune;

I suupport your bill. Since the pass came out without a vet exemption, I have not used any State, DNR, F$W lands in protest. We veterans may not purchase a pass, but any money we spend in the surrounding communities are definately a positive impact in this economy and as we enjoy the use of the pass, we would bring non-vets who would purchase the pass. This has been proven many times enjoying forest lands where the NW Forest Pass is required. Also, the $10 fee per day is high in comparison, especially since other bills are in the process to take the money and using it for other reasons than originally written which is always the WA way.

This bill is sponsored by Representatives Bailey, Orwall, McCune, Zeiger and Cody.:bonk:

See link:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2161&year=2011

If you like this piece of legislation let both your Washington State House of Representatives members know.

If don’t know who they are or how to contact them, go to:

www.leg.wa.gov

I have a neighbor with a disable parking permit, he said he gets to use DNR land without a discover pass without buying a discover pass because of this. Is this true? I wasnt sure.

I have a neighbor with a disable parking permit, he said he gets to use DNR land without a discover pass without buying a discover pass because of this. Is this true? I wasnt sure.

The DNR does not have an exemption for disabled persons.

When I asked why, one of the DNR doinks told me it was because the DNR never charged for recreational use of "their" land before, therefore a disabled person exemption was not required.

The same doink told me that if the legislature wanted there to be an exemption to the Discover Pass for disabled people on DNR land they should have put it in there.

:bonk:

The same doink told me that if the legislature wanted there to be an exemption to the Discover Pass for disabled people on DNR land they should have put it in there.

Correct.

During the negotiations last spring people were trying to pile on tons of exemptions and the only way Senator Ranker was going to pass a bill was to block almost all exemptions knowing that it was going to come back up this next session.