Sign in to follow this  

CRF150F Carby Issue

Hello, I recently bought a new carburetor for my 2003 crf150f off ebay. I bought a cheap china carby. Installation went well, but when I turned on the petcock fuel just started pissing out of the overflow. I first assumed this was the float sticking and letting way to much fuel in. (I still believe this may be the problem) So i took off the carby and opened the bowl and found that everything seems fine, It is a brand new carb so no debris are in the bowl at all. I put it back together and I shook it a few times and the float was defiantly moving up and down and not getting stuck on anything. I turned on the petcock again and it just kept leaking. Somebody please help me here! I went to the live chat on this website to come across some goofs who told me to buy a new OEM carby and not worry about it.. what an idiotic answer. Well, Thanks

Sounds like the float height needs to be adjusted or...the float needle is not seating. The needle may "look" clean & smooth but any inperfection, out of round etc will cause a leak.

As it is a new carb, I would bet that a simple adjustment to the floats would do the trick.

I don't know; and as it is from China....you may have a hard time finding any info although you might try to Google it.

So....the next best thing is "trial & error". The simple, generic diagram below shows the basic concept. The needle needs to shut the gas off earlier so "B" needs to be greater. By gently bending the float tab up....the gas coming into the bowl will cause the float to raise and seat earlier, thus shutting the gas off earlier.

A very small adjustment should do the trick.

Once adjusted....re-install the bowl, hook-up the fuel line, hold the carb basically level, turn the gas on, and if no gas weeps out......re-install the carb on the bike. Go for a test ride.

0d6c19fc.jpg

453fb44c.jpg

If you bend the tab too far, the bowl will not fill sufficiently with fuel resulting in the engine cutting out at full throttle. If this happens.....you will need to remove the carb again...and adjust the tab in the opposite direction.....A pita I know.....but once done you should be set to go.

Good luck.