Sign in to follow this  

HC piston 13/1 versus 12.2/1

I'm wanting to put a HC piston in my 150R this winter while I have it apart doing the valves. Most HC pistons I am finding are 12.2/1. I've read on here that some are running 13/1 pistons. I haven't had much luck finding these, and the one brand I did find was almost twice as much as the Wiseco kit I was looking at. Would I really gain that much more by spending more money on the 13/1 piston? I've never had a HC piston, so i'm not really sure I will see much difference to begin with. I just hate to throw extra money at something with no return. The valve job is going to cost enough!

Speaking of valves, any have any brand recommendations? Should I go with stainless versus the stock steel valves? Or just stick with OEM?

Thanks!

A HC piston will give you more torque and HP throughout the power band. 12 or 13.1 is preference and there will be little difference but that little difference may give you a win. My experience with Wisco tell me not to buy no matter what the price is. That’s my experience but others like them. I know several racers the run 13.1 Crower pistons and yes they are pricy. Those bikes run very well and this winter my son’s bike will have one. Honda race team reccomends a 13.1 piston! EBay had them at a reduced price. Make sure you get the correct bore as many have 13.1 but in an oversize bore. Good fuel is required also.

http://crowerperformance.com/c-143544-powersports-mx-atv-utv-street-motocross-honda-mx.html

I have had good luck with OEM. Key is to check your cam gear so it is on spec. If this moves you will hit a valve. Ticking at idle then goes away with RPMs is a known sound of cam gear moved.