Sign in to follow this  

fork model year

I just bought a pair of forks off ebay, seller said they were off an 06 yz250f. Pulled them out of the box and the lower leg has 05 printed in it. I'm wondering if that means it was manufactured in 05 (06 model) or does it mean they are off an 05 model? My bike is in a storage unit so I can't easily get to it to compare. Thanks for any help.

I think they are going to look the same from the outside but they would be different on the inside. Hard to tell until you tear it apart. Not sure about the "05" stamped on it

06 was the first year of the twin chambers. The top of the fork if it is a 06 will have two 8 sided nuts, one female one male..

06 was the first year of the twin chambers. The top of the fork if it is a 06 will have two 8 sided nuts, one female one male..

No, the 05 also had twin chambers. Like Swede says, they look pretty much the same on the outside as a 06 SSS fork, but all diff on the inside.

its def twin chamber, I'll just check the stamp from the fork on my bike to see. Thanks for the input.

Super fast and easy way to tell.... if the top of the fork cap is silver, then its an 05' - if its an anodized gold/brown color, then its an 2006 - current. I have seen many people try to pass off 05 forks as the 06+ SSS forks, and honestly many people have no idea of the difference because they look the same on the outside aside from the color.

Also FYI - the 07+ 250f SSS forks use the updated caliper which is smaller and the older calipers won't bolt up - same deal on the master cylinder for 07+, they use a different brake lever.

The older model calipers will bolt up to the newer moder SSS bracket. You must use the early model master cylinder as well. And yes, I have done this mod. I put a '03 caliper and master cylinder on my '08 SSS forks (and '08 YZ290F-WR).