Sign in to follow this  

New bike wanted

Ok so i am about 6 feet tall and 200lbs. I ride 3-5 days a week. I have a budget of $3500. I am anti- 2 stroke and currently ride a crf 230f, that i am outgrowing in size and speed. I ride in very rocky trails and am thinking about doing so hair scrambles. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Not sure if i need a 240 or 450

Edited by john7967

Why are you anti 2 stroke? Are you an environmentalist, or dont like the 2t power, or ?

It really depends on your skill level. How old are you? What is your riding experience? Even a 250F would be a huge step up in performance from the 230. A CRF230 is about as beginner as it gets. Going from a 230 to a 450 seems like a drastic move. Have you ridden either bike?

I just find 2 strokes annoying in trails, and i have ridden my brothers crf 250r and handled it fine, just not to crazy about it in the trails. Im 15 and ride almost every day for the past 4 seasons.

Well, if you are stuck on 4 strokes, you could shop for a clean, unabused 250F...but you will pay in maintenance. It sounds like you have probably ridden MX bikes on trails, which might explain your dislike for them. If you are ever given the opportunity to ride a trail specific 2 stroke (such as a KTM 200 XC), try it. I was a 4 stroke guy until I got tired of the weight and bought a KTM 300 XC and its magic on the trails. It has the low end grunt of a 4 stroke and is about 30 lbs lighter than my WR.

have you rode the 2 stroke trail bikes? the ktm EXC MXC XCs in particular? they are awesome for woods riding and ride nothing like the 2 stroke motocross bikes

a nice ktm 250 exc four storke is a great bike and a plus is its e-start and has good power

a nice ktm 250 exc four storke is a great bike and a plus is its e-start and has good power

I agree, the electric start makes riding in the bush an enjoyment. I dont get the anti-two stroke comment. Though my bike is newer, a good 200xc or 250xc might be a better setup. You might not like a 2 stroke because you have never tried one set up for the bush. I was out yesterday with a father and son, they had a couple 09 Kawis, a 250f and

450f. Both of them tried my bike and loved it, couldnt believe how nice it handled, power delivery, clutch, etc. etc. But it is all personal taste.

Note....at 200lbs, your pushing it on a 250f and will need springs for sure, same as a 450f. A 250f can and will work for someone your weight but your going to be really working the motor. Wear and tear is going to happen faster on a 250f then a 450f. If you ride as much as you say you do, a 450f is going to be the ticket, though it will be nothing like your 230.

Well, if you are stuck on 4 strokes, you could shop for a clean, unabused 250F...but you will pay in maintenance. It sounds like you have probably ridden MX bikes on trails, which might explain your dislike for them. If you are ever given the opportunity to ride a trail specific 2 stroke (such as a KTM 200 XC), try it. I was a 4 stroke guy until I got tired of the weight and bought a KTM 300 XC and its magic on the trails. It has the low end grunt of a 4 stroke and is about 30 lbs lighter than my WR.

if its a low hour , un-abused bike, it shouldnt take anymore maintenance then any other bike. my last bike was a crf250 that i had for 3 years and never did anything to it except clean the air filter every few rides and change the oil from time to time.

A 250F shouldnt take any more maintenance than any other bike? Are you sure about that? High maintenance on a 250F is widely known and documented everywhere. 3 years and nothing but air filters and oil changes? How often did you ride, once a month? Surely you arent suggesting that a 250F is as low maintenance as a XR, KDX, KTM EXC...or even a big bore WR...what an ill informed comment.

I agree, the electric start makes riding in the bush an enjoyment. I dont get the anti-two stroke comment. Though my bike is newer, a good 200xc or 250xc might be a better setup. You might not like a 2 stroke because you have never tried one set up for the bush. I was out yesterday with a father and son, they had a couple 09 Kawis, a 250f and

450f. Both of them tried my bike and loved it, couldnt believe how nice it handled, power delivery, clutch, etc. etc. But it is all personal taste.

Note....at 200lbs, your pushing it on a 250f and will need springs for sure, same as a 450f. A 250f can and will work for someone your weight but your going to be really working the motor. Wear and tear is going to happen faster on a 250f then a 450f. If you ride as much as you say you do, a 450f is going to be the ticket, though it will be nothing like your 230.

why is 200lb to big for a 250f? i am 225 asnd have had a crf250x and now my ktm 250 exc and both bike haul me just fine never bottom out and can carry me everywere i have pointed it and few i didnt want it to go. i would bet a 200xc like u suggest is no more power then a 250f.

i would bet a 200xc like u suggest is no more power then a 250f.

Don’t bet anything you want to keep!

CoKTM

. i would bet a 200xc like u suggest is no more power then a 250f.

WHAT???? you have even rode a 200....have ya???? I wished my son was on a 200 and off that 08 250f that I just had the third crank put into... no more maintance my ass!!!

well if are on your third crank on a 2008 four storke u should teach your kid how to ride with some respect and spend some time on regualr mantince. your kid if more then likey beating the crap out a bike he didnt pay for as he dosent have to pay to fix it . just saying

why is 200lb to big for a 250f? i am 225 asnd have had a crf250x and now my ktm 250 exc and both bike haul me just fine never bottom out and can carry me everywere i have pointed it and few i didnt want it to go. i would bet a 200xc like u suggest is no more power then a 250f.

200xc is 25lbs lighter

well if are on your third crank on a 2008 four storke u should teach your kid how to ride with some respect and spend some time on regualr mantince. your kid if more then likey beating the crap out a bike he didnt pay for as he dosent have to pay to fix it . just saying

I missed this comment before I posted. What does respect have anything to do with anything. 250fs when ridden hard will wear out, period! A 200xc will wear out but won't cost as much to fix as a 250f. As for your suspension not bottoming out, it obvious that you don't know what good suspension is supposed to feel like. At 225lbs plus gear, the bike you have it quite undersprung for your weight. But you only know what you only know, and you don't know better!

well i have had a honda crf250x and rode it hard for four years never had a problem now the ktm exc250 and as only rode it a couple time so far the guy before me(family friend) rode it like it sould be since new(2004) and REGUALR MANTINCE!!!!!!!! no problems valves adjusted a couple times. all i know is the post started with a guy looking for a four storke not a 2 stroke something for trails I belive and coming from a 230 so if that packed his 200lb body around a 250f something like a exc if he goes to a ktm or a crf250x or wr250 or ..... he will be happy I am sure of it thats what I know. I laugh at all these guys running there big 450's more power big deal if u were to ride the area i do u would be dead last most single track trails u cant get out of 3rd gear so a 450 is useless IMO. the way i look at it is the guys running a 450s must be over compensating for something they dont have.