Sign in to follow this  

Stebel compact horn... where to mount it?

Anyone mounted one of these Stebel compact horns on a DRZ? Where/how did you do it? I understand the wiring. Just not sure where to locate it. Maybe on the back side of the dash/speedometer behind the little fairing?

I plan on mounting one in the future too. I've read that you can take apart the horn from the compressor then just route a tube between them. That way you don't have to find such a large open space to mount it.

If you scroll down to the reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Horn-Stebel-Compact-Nautilus-Twin/dp/B003JO2AAC, there's a guy that posted a video review of how he did it.

You can mount it anywhere you like, with only two considerations. You don't want the bike to fall over on it, since it will disintegrate the first time that happens. Second, you MUST mount it with the air intake pointed down. Other than that, they do fine out in the open.

I guess there is a third consideration. Don't skimp on the wire size. Before I installed mine, I tested wire sizes and found that it was a bit louder with #10AWG than with #12AWG, so I used #10.

This one has been on my R1150GS for about 8 years and 60K miles.

Stebel_and_lights.jpg

I also put one in my truck.