Sign in to follow this  

'01 YZ125 General questions

Im not new to bikes at all, just seeking some info to confirm my assumptions.

I went to a guys house and looked at an 01 YZ125 that looked decent in the pictures (they all do.) Some background info: The guy got the bike in a trade, doesnt know much about bikes. Rode it once, wasnt into it. Claims it was recently rebuilt. Has a 144cc big bore kit on it. Wants $1200. Talked him down to $1000 on the phone. Then to $800 in person. Says he needs money for his offroad truck. (Doubt its stolen, hes part of a local forum im on. We are both known members.)

First issue was the bike overall appearance was a bit rough. Didnt look like he washed it since the last ride. Had oil leaking out if the shift shaft seal, the power valve, pipe, and clutch cover. Needed new axle blocks, tires, and grips. This stuff, minus the tires, i can deal with. Gaskets are cheap(ish) and i like doing the work myself. I have no problem doing those things, but the tires is another issue. Tire prices just went up so id be looking at another $150 there. Still not a deal breaker though. Either is having to do some motor work. Which leads me to my next question.

The cylinder still is stock, displaying the 124cc stamp. Is it really a 144? Pulled faster than my stock 125 on the street, but what bike doesnt on the pavement? Could just be good jetting or pipe. So if this thing is bored out how much of a PITA will it be to do a top end? No Yamaha dealer parts obviously. More trouble than its worth if unknown? Its just frustrating he didnt know anything about it. I doubt it was recently rebuilt though, im not gonna pretend to myself it was.

In conclusion, do you think i could clean this bike up nice, give it some tlc and have a good running bike? Or is the motor mods/ history the deal breaker even for $800.

Thanks!

Hey man!!!

To me man i dont think the bike is worth $800. Heres why i think that. If he didnt even care to wash the bike, or even take care of it, just think on how he did the daily maintence to the bike. Like air filter, changing the oil etc etc.

Now you can still use the stock cylinder, but i bet the stock cylinder was bored out to a 144. I would check the wheel bearings, shock for any leaking, forks for leaking, bent rims, broken or loose spoke :)

Ask him to show you the air filter and if its dirty then i would walk away or try to get the price even lower. Because just think, look how rough the bike ooks on the outside, if he didnt take the outside of the bike, then im guessing he didnt take care of the inside.

See if you can get the bike an lower, price out the stuff the bike needs and bring the guy a list and the price to fix what ever needs fixed.

Also check compression as well

thanks man and god bless!!! And dont rush it, if its not meant to be then there will be a another bike. I would hate to see you get burnt like i did on my old bike:banghead::lol::banghead:

Thanks man!!!

Alex

• Like 1

Im not new to bikes at all, just seeking some info to confirm my assumptions.

I went to a guys house and looked at an 01 YZ125 that looked decent in the pictures (they all do.) Some background info: The guy got the bike in a trade, doesnt know much about bikes. Rode it once, wasnt into it. Claims it was recently rebuilt. Has a 144cc big bore kit on it. Wants $1200. Talked him down to $1000 on the phone. Then to $800 in person. Says he needs money for his offroad truck. (Doubt its stolen, hes part of a local forum im on. We are both known members.)

First issue was the bike overall appearance was a bit rough. Didnt look like he washed it since the last ride. Had oil leaking out if the shift shaft seal, the power valve, pipe, and clutch cover. Needed new axle blocks, tires, and grips. This stuff, minus the tires, i can deal with. Gaskets are cheap(ish) and i like doing the work myself. I have no problem doing those things, but the tires is another issue. Tire prices just went up so id be looking at another $150 there. Still not a deal breaker though. Either is having to do some motor work. Which leads me to my next question.

The cylinder still is stock, displaying the 124cc stamp. Is it really a 144? Pulled faster than my stock 125 on the street, but what bike doesnt on the pavement? Could just be good jetting or pipe. So if this thing is bored out how much of a PITA will it be to do a top end? No Yamaha dealer parts obviously. More trouble than its worth if unknown? Its just frustrating he didnt know anything about it. I doubt it was recently rebuilt though, im not gonna pretend to myself it was.

In conclusion, do you think i could clean this bike up nice, give it some tlc and have a good running bike? Or is the motor mods/ history the deal breaker even for $800.

Thanks!

buying used stuff is always kind of a hit or miss game, personally if it is a 144, i think it would be worth it, if hes only had one ride on it, then he hasn't had to maintain it for long, one ride without maintaince isn't going to kill the bike, if it were a four stroke id definantly say no, they need alot of maintenance, and when they blow its $$$$. as for the top end i don't think there's much difference in price for the 144, wiseco/pro-x are usually about the same price as oem stuff anyways. unfortunantly though theres no definite way to confirm its a 144 without taking the head off. id ask him to pull the pipe off, that way you can peek inside the cylinder with flashlight, if you can stuill see the crosshatching then the cylinder probably has been recently redone, makes sure the piston looks good as well, no grooves, nicks or notching. so in short, if everything is mechanically sound, ie shifts nice, clutch feels good(look for dragging+slipping), suspension is good (check dampning + rebound), no leaking fork seals, no dents in pipe, cables nice and free, then i think it may be something to look furthur into, but if not then id keep lookin, good luck:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Yea that is basically my concern. If i knew for sure it was fresh then yes i would do it. But the other guy told him it was fresh, just like every other person selling a 2 stroke. And there was pipe dents and other things wrong. The motor just looked heavily used as far as crud and cleanliness. Not like it had been well cleaned when taken out of the bike. But it ran great, shifted great. Just in need of tires and TLC.

If he has it in a few days still i might talk him down.

If you dont buy it give me his # and Ill gladly give him 800 for it. For a few hundred bucks and a little time i could make that bike run better than new.

I agree with you on that one. Hence the reason i started this thread. I dont know about the market over there, but in in CA that thing is only worth a thousand bucks in good condition (not excellent). So if i only put the tires on it im barely getting my money back. IF i can sell it. The market is flooded it seems right now.

I agree with you on that one. Hence the reason i started this thread. I dont know about the market over there, but in in CA that thing is only worth a thousand bucks in good condition (not excellent). So if i only put the tires on it im barely getting my money back. IF i can sell it. The market is flooded it seems right now.

Your right and I understand what your saying but I assumed you were buying it to ride it, not re sell it. That price sounds about right for my area as well, maybe a little low. I got 1300 out of my 2000 yz125 that I ended up buying back for less. Its hard to make your money back even on a new bike after you ride it a while and try to sell it. I bought a 450f a few years back, rode it half a season and had nothing but trouble with it and lost over 4k on it including parts that I needed to make the bike work for me like bars, exhaust, sprockets, tires, suspension, and the price that I could get out of it when I decided to sell. Hop up parts do nothing for resale... I found that out the hard way. If your buying used bikes based on the ability to re sell them, GOOD LUCK!

Haha no im not really looking to flip them. I definitely feel you on the resale value, ive bought and sold a handful of bikes. Just was looking to get a smaller bike for the track. My 450 is fun but i want to try a 125 again. I figured i could put a little sweat equity in this one and not be on the hole too bad if i decide i dont like it.

On a similar note, i did buy my 06 kx450 for $2000 bucks and resold it for the same price 2 year later.

My only point is that if you can get that bike for between 800-1000 Id grab it. Great 125, no doubt about it and well worth the money. As long as your not strapped for cash and could sit on the bike for a while until you decide to sell, you could get your money back out of it.

Well im glad i waited on this one. I went with my gut instinct not to buy the bike mentioned above. But i did pick one up from a guy around the corner from me. Its an '00 and it CLEAN. Adult owned and hardly ridden. No wear on the covers, ridden once a season. It shows ProCircuit pipe/ sparky. This thing is jetted perfect and rips hard. Got it for $900 bucks!

2011-12-21_103746.jpg

My 450 is making me lazy on the track, so this thing oughtta be fun!

• Like 1

Well im glad i waited on this one. I went with my gut instinct not to buy the bike mentioned above. But i did pick one up from a guy around the corner from me. Got it for $900 bucks!
Show your new bike to the first guy. Tell him "This is the kind of bike $900 buys."

Then offer him $500 for his 144. :smirk:

Sisters! :bonk:

If you dont buy it give me his # and Ill gladly give him 800 for it. For a few hundred bucks and a little time i could make that bike run better than new.

Its never a few hunderd bucks sadly,

That one would be... I already have practically everything I need to rebuild that bike.

Ive been looking for one for a long time. Kinda want an alum. frame roller though just so I can try my hand at a custom build.

• Like 1

That one would be... I already have practically everything I need to rebuild that bike.

Ive been looking for one for a long time. Kinda want an alum. frame roller though just so I can try my hand at a custom build.

Let me know if you want his number, ill PM it to you.

thats a clean '00 you got there. unless he ran a different tank, that tank hasnt seen much use. the graphics are still white lol.

Ya im pretty excited about it. Its all original. My only concern is the jetting is lean. The thing rips, but the plug looks good. Maybe its just been awhile since ive been on a 2 T though!

you first said its jetted perfectly. now you say its jetted lean, but the plug looks good. im confused lol

OK well i guess i did contradict myself haha. It is jetted perfectly as far as the plug check and butt dyno. But i just get paranoid when they run that good because they scream! haha. Ill probably just run it, and if it goes it goes. Then ill do a top end and mess with the jetting.

But like i said it runs great.

i dont think i would worry about it if they plug is good. they are suppose to scream..its is a onetwofive lol