Sign in to follow this  

Brand new noobie here, need help.

Need some help. I'm 16, starting fresh, planning on buying a yz125 when summer comes around. Don't have a job, parents refuse to spend a penny on anything, so I will be using the money I will get from selling my two current dirt bikes, which, simply said, I cannot ride. One is too small (yz85) and the other is impossible to start and i hate fourstrokes anyway, theyre a pain in the ass. Last year my parent (mom) helped me pay for basically everything. She wanted to get me into this sport but I made mistakes in what I bought and she no longer trusts what im saying about it, and she will not confront the internet or anything to try and figure out how to work any of this for herself. She is not interested, and its all me now, because I simply refuse to give up this sport. It saddens me how ignorant she is to this, thinking that anything that cant last 5 months without maintenance is a piece of junk. She thinks everything is like a car where you can go forever without changing it. She just cant understand dirt bikes or quads. So im on my own now, relying on the approx. 3500 dollars i will get from selling both my dirt bikes. I have basically no knowledge of how to work anything mechanically. I dont have a father to help me with it either, FYI. I'm on my own, except for you guys. Any info you can give me about how to maintenance a 2 stroke, what to look for when buying(especially important) tips on selling my current dirt bikes (how to talk to the people im selling it to, when i do) or anything else you can think of. Im fresh off the beginner's line, folks. But i have one thing: determination. So please help me. I dont want to let go of this sport.

It's cool that you are determined. I respect that. It's good that you are doing this on your own. Your mom shouldn't have to worry about it. You are 16 years old, that's only two years away from what my dad called the "Sampsonite Luggage for a gift" birthday! He used to get this far away look in his eyes and a hint of a smile whenever the subject came up... Buy I digress.

You are smart to come here for help. There are lots of guys that are willing to give good advice. I don't really know much about 125cc bikes, so I can't help you there.

I do think that you should try to get the four stroke running before you sell it. You will get more money for it that way, and you will therefore have more options when you are ready to buy another bike. That's assuming it needs a relatively easy repair, and it's not seized up.

Good luck with your plan.

before selling, try to get the four stroke running. What bike is it? Start by cleaning the carb, which really isn't too hard. A cleaned carb, fresh gas, and a clean spark plug should help a lot.

Mainly I would suggest to take a good look at the suspension setup on a new bike, the reason I say this is that most people get caught up in the motor and overlook many other important things. Not to say the engine isint important but really make sure the rest of the bike is good, you cant see inside the engine but there are alot of other things you can see that are a deal breaker for me. Maintenance on a 2-stroke is simple and if the engine cranks and runs crispy, chances are it will be a good one. Look for stripped out bolts and things that look "rigged" you will be surprised at what ypu will find once it is in your garage and after you have paid for it. I know you cant catch everything with a comb over before a new buy, but dont get caught up in how pretty a bike is, plastic and other cosmetics can be replaced. also really think about who you are buying the bike from, if they are 15 and say the bike is good, chances are it's been beat and ill maintained. just make sure you get what you want before you decide to dish out a few thousand :lol:

It's cool that you are determined. I respect that. It's good that you are doing this on your own. Your mom shouldn't have to worry about it. You are 16 years old, that's only two years away from what my dad called the "Sampsonite Luggage for a gift" birthday!

You are smart to come here for help. There are lots of guys that are willing to give good advice.

I think that you should try to get the four stroke running before you sell it. You will get more money for it that way. That's assuming it needs a relatively easy repair.

Good luck with your plan.

The fourstroke dirt bike is actually in good repair. I bought it from a guy who was a brilliant mechanic, I could just tell. His son raced it (not good for a bike i know) but he kept it in good repair. he only sold it so he could get his son a yz450. Its a yz250f if i didnt mention that. Only problem is, its modded to hell. Bored out, high compression piston, titanium 4.1 FMF factory slip on with powerbomb header, and, well, everything else I look at on that bike is modded. Even has an aftermarket radiator. i could list a hundred different things just by looking at it. It is insanely fast, but it is so hard to start, I, well, just cant start it. i have a big muscular friend who can if he rolls it down a hill after like 15 minutes of kicking it the right way (without flooding it). my guess is the high compression piston isnt helping. last year when i put it away i replaced the spark plug, oil, radiator fluid, and cleaned the filter. It is just so incredibly hard to start, you have no idea. grown men, 23-24 year olds had trouble starting it (even though they eventually did). Any suggestions on whats wrong (or maybe its just supposed to be that hard to start)? Oh and btw on the pics, i have a powerbomb header now because the stock one pictured cracked in half. and the clutch lever is bent from falling over, only differences i think from how it looks now. these are old pics.

069.jpg

068.jpg

Mainly I would suggest to take a good look at the suspension setup on a new bike, the reason I say this is that most people get caught up in the motor and overlook many other important things. Not to say the engine isint important but really make sure the rest of the bike is good, you cant see inside the engine but there are alot of other things you can see that are a deal breaker for me. Maintenance on a 2-stroke is simple and if the engine cranks and runs crispy, chances are it will be a good one. Look for stripped out bolts and things that look "rigged" you will be surprised at what ypu will find once it is in your garage and after you have paid for it. I know you cant catch everything with a comb over before a new buy, but dont get caught up in how pretty a bike is, plastic and other cosmetics can be replaced. also really think about who you are buying the bike from, if they are 15 and say the bike is good, chances are it's been beat and ill maintained. just make sure you get what you want before you decide to dish out a few thousand :lol:
thats the issue i had on my yfz450 (quad) when i bought it, it had alot of problems but because i had never experienced so much power compared to my 350 i loved it and didnt even realize all its problems till i got back home. foolish me. but i really do hate that stereotype that you put out there and other people do. just because ur 15 doesnt mean the bike sucks, im 16 and i know my bike is good, but it is frowned upon to buy from a minor like that because of that stereotype thinking. I dont lie to people. if my bike has problems, ill tell them. its just how i am. Even though MOST of the time, youre actually right. but anyway, thanks for the suggestions and help.

That's a beautiful bike dude!

How does it run when you are actually successful at getting it started? How does it idle? Those bikes are tough to start unless they have the correct pilot jet and the fuel screw is adjusted properly. Another common problem is a deteriorated o-ring on the fuel screw. That is all stuff you can learn right here on this site. Read this: http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm

I'm sure that there are other guys on here with better knowledge than me, but at least it is somewhere to start.

Take your YZF somewhere and get your valves properly adjusted. i will bet you the cost of the adjustment that it will start easier

That's a beautiful bike dude!

How does it run when you are actually successful at getting it started? How does it idle? Those bikes are tough to start unless they have the correct pilot jet and the fuel screw is adjusted properly. Another common problem is a deteriorated o-ring on the fuel screw. That is all stuff you can learn right here on this site. Read this: http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm

I'm sure that there are other guys on here with better knowledge than me, but at least it is somewhere to start.

it idles normally, but sometimes when i give it gas in neutral then let off the gas,it will still continue to idle at that speed, like a slightly higher idle. My mechanic says thats normal, especially with modded out bikes like this one. And yes, i know its a beautiful bike, but its not worth anything to me if i cant ride it, lol. and yes, it is very tough to start. Ive replaced the spark plug already but hey, i could take off the carb and look at it, never done that. The link and that other info is helpful man, thanks. Maybe its not jetted properly? i never thought of that. I dont know how to jet it but i think i can figure it out, unless you got some more tips on how, that would be helpful.

if i were you i would just sell the 85, and use a little of the money to get the 250 tuned and running right. they are good bikes and have plenty of power coming from an 85

Take your YZF somewhere and get your valves properly adjusted. i will bet you the cost of the adjustment that it will start easier

+1 on this. Or watch some YouTube how to videos. You might find that it's something you would feel comfortable doing yourself. When you do sell your bikes I would use some of the money to buy some basic tools if you don't already have them. Money well spent in my opinion. Learning to do your own repairs helps keep a fairly spendy hobby from breaking the bank.

if i were you i would just sell the 85, and use a little of the money to get the 250 tuned and running right. they are good bikes and have plenty of power coming from an 85

Actually, thats a good idea. Thank you. I think I would enjoy my four stroke if I could just start it.

Actually, thats a good idea. Thank you. I think I would enjoy my four stroke if I could just start it.

That's kind of what I was thinking after you posted pictures of the bike. Before that, I was imagining one of those Chinese Baja 4 strokes or something. That YZF is a good bike. It should be worth fixing. If the YZ85 looks as good as the 250, it should be easy to sell it for enough to take the YZF to a good bike shop. They can iron out the starting issues, and you will have a great bike.

That's kind of what I was thinking after you posted pictures of the bike. Before that, I was imagining one of those Chinese Baja 4 strokes or something. That YZF is a good bike. It should be worth fixing. If the YZ85 looks as good as the 250, it should be easy to sell it for enough to take the YZF to a good bike shop. They can iron out the starting issues, and you will have a great bike.
\

ok thanks. I dont even know what the valves or anything like that are anyway, I just thought it was supposed to be this hard to start. Thanks for tellin me.