Sign in to follow this  

How dirty is this air filter?

I am just wondering if I am wasting my time and money cleaning air filters so often. I put 2 rides(2 hours) on the mx track with this air filter and this is what it looked like. I went ahead and cleaned it but do they need cleaned when they look like this or could I go another ride? Bike is a crf250r.

007.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

I would clean it too. Really, how much extra are you spending by cleaning filters frequently?

I myself would clean it.

I clean mine after ever ride or track day. :lol:

It's dirty. I would clean it since it's already out. They can get dirtier than that and still be ok though.

Edited by zlathim

If that's 2 rides you can go 4 or 5 rides and you'll be fine.

I'm goin with this. :lol:

What filter oil are ya runnin? Just wonderin

I post this every now and then...just for fun....One race.

P2210001.jpg

P2210005.jpg

Wish my filter was that clean. After two hours of riding mine is fully coated with fine Nor cal dust.

Slakkinhard was that just one ride? Ha ha thats crazy. I use maxima fab1 air filter spray. That was the first time I used that air filter in the picture.

Slakkinhard was that just one ride? Ha ha thats crazy. I use maxima fab1 air filter spray. That was the first time I used that air filter in the picture.

Yep...one 3hr race in the rainforest. It was particularly nasty that day. I'm a Belray user, but I do the 'dip/squeeze' method. The air spray's don't give me the same comfortable feeling, but some folks are happy with them.

I just like to show this pic to illustrate that a properly oiled air filter does an excellent job in the worst of conditions. In fact, they get better when they've picked up some filth, so IMHO, a perfectly clean filter isn't in my best interest. I worry more that it's easy to knock stuff in the throat, or fail to get it seated right, or damage the filter, etc before I worry if a one or two ride filter will let dirt in.

I helped on a couple Baja races in the 80's and we didn't do full motor tear downs or anything fancy...just kept the filter oiled with plenty of Belray.

To clarify though, assess your conditions...not all dirt is the same.

I wouldnt pull it out after a 2 hour ride unless it the ride was pretty dusty. Looks good still.

I am just wondering if I am wasting my time and money cleaning air filters so often. I put 2 rides(2 hours) on the mx track with this air filter and this is what it looked like. I went ahead and cleaned it but do they need cleaned when they look like this or could I go another ride? Bike is a crf250r

GAAK!! That's filthy!! Especially for a 250r - run a dirty filter, buy a new set of valves. You really should be cleaning it after every ride.

Better yet, buy another filter, then you can clean and oil 2 at a time. Same time spent, but bike is twice as clean...get it?

JayC

that,s not even close to dirty.if it,s oiled properly there will be no dirt on the inside of the filter,ever.then the dirtyness on the outside only matters if and when it hurts airflow to the motor.a filter can be pretty covered and not be anywhere near restricting flow to the motor.airboots and filters are pretty oversized for the motor.make sure you grease the sealing surface when you install a cleaned and oiled filter.my air box never even has a hint of dust in it.i check with a kleenex when i do a filter change.