Sign in to follow this  

Do I need new springs for my shock/fork?

I have a 2012 crf250r and Im not sure if I need new fork springs and shock spring for my weight. I weigh 165-170 pounds and race mx in the C class.

Oh and one more question will a rear brake pedal from a 2007 fit a 2012? I bent mine last night.

029.jpg

Thanks

Check a Honda parts guide and see if the part # is the same. Why do you think you need new springs? What is the bike doing that makes you talk about new springs? Have you adjusted any settings yet?

The suspension feels pretty stiff and not as good as my 2007 but that is revalved and has diffrent springs. It has .45 fork springs and a 5.1 shock spring. I tried to look it up on the race tech calculater but I cant figure that thing out. What are the spring rates on the 2012s?

The suspension feels pretty stiff and not as good as my 2007 but that is revalved and has diffrent springs. It has .45 fork springs and a 5.1 shock spring. I tried to look it up on the race tech calculater but I cant figure that thing out. What are the spring rates on the 2012s?

Normally, if you get the calculator working on their site it should tell you the stock springrate.

I tried to plug in your basic #s (http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/CRF250R/2012#springRateCalc) but it gave me this:

Spring calculation formula is not complete. Please call.

:lol:

But just from my experience with my 2010, when I went into RG3 to get revalved they told me that starting with that year the stock springrates were increased a bit compared to years past, so I would need to maybe go with lighter springs if I lost more weight. I weighed ~180 at the time, and now I weigh 145 and I am getting resprung & revalved this week because the ride is definately way too harsh.

Plugging your #s in for the 2011 yields this, for what it's worth:

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.449 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.45 kg/mm(stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS

Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 5.2 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.3 kg/mm (stock)

So it seems you might benefit from going softer on the springs (The closest rates Racetech offers is .44kg/mm for the front and 5.2kg/mm for the rear), but again these #s were from the 2011. They're really cool if you call them, and most suspension shops are great to call up and pick their brains as well.

You get an owners manual with your bike. The spring rates are in there. You should try adjusting your compression settings first. Fork oil level makes a big difference too. So does the high speed rear compression. If none of that works then you may need new springs. If you don't try those things first your probably just wasting your cash.

Take your brake pedal off the bike, put it in a vice and apply some heat and try to bend it back into place, have fun. . . because the 07' is slightly different and will bind when you tighten the bolt, from my experience anyhow.

Take your brake pedal off the bike, put it in a vice and apply some heat and try to bend it back into place, have fun. . . because the 07' is slightly different and will bind when you tighten the bolt, from my experience anyhow.

Thanks I just did that and it worked. The 07 and the 12 are a little diffrent but I still got it to work.

I am 155lbs on a 2011 250 and I went down to 5.1 from stock 5.3 shocks and kept the front fork rate the same. Very plush in the rear now without bottoming. The 5.1 might be a little too soft for 165-170 pounder but check your sags to find out for sure.

Set your race sag and then measure the static sag, that will tell you what spring rate you need.

Here is what Too Tech Suspension says about the topic.

"3/4" to 1 1/2 inches indicates the rear spring is correct.

If the static sag is less than 1/2 inch – the spring is too definitely soft.

If the static sag is greater than 1 3/4 inch – the spring is probably too stiff.

Ideally the static sag will be between 3/4 and 1 1/2 inches.

Note: There is much confusion about the specifications above! Think of it this way. Before checking your static sag, you must first set your race sag to 4 inches. If you have a rear spring that is too soft, you will have to really crank down on the preload to get the 4 inches of race sag. You will be able to get 4 inches at some point, but you may have cranked in so much preload that without you on the bike, the additional spring preload will hold the bike up real high, maybe even topped out. If you are close to topped out, the static sag number will be small - under 1/2"."

Rick Johnson

Too Tech Racing