Sign in to follow this  

XR650R clutch replacment.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum thing but I'm hoping you all could help me out. I have a 2002 650R. According to my service manual and slipping clutch its time to get a new one. After inspection I've noticed that more then one drive plate has a groove worn from the judder spring so I've decided to replace everything. I bought the bike used and while I have rebuilt the engine(little brother got over zealous) and trans (power shifting is bad) the clutch has never been replaced. My concern's are that my engine is not exactly stock and it's putting out quite a bit more H.P. then your average XR. I'm also bigger then your average bear so I was wondering what clutches you guys are running. A stocker is about 200 bucks at my local dealer, but i was looking at barnett or wiesco. So please if you could help me out it wold be great. Oh and I ride pretty much every where with every kind of terrain. Thanks fellers.

I've replaced two clutch packs on slipping XR's. Both times I measured the fiber plates and they were still well within the proper spec's. Since then, I've added the extra steal plate to the pack which is suppose to allow the plates to wear more. If you are trying to save a couple $'s, this might be something to look into.

If you search clutch posts, I'm sure you'll find the info.

I've replaced two clutch packs on slipping XR's. Both times I measured the fiber plates and they were still well within the proper spec's. Since then, I've added the extra steal plate to the pack which is suppose to allow the plates to wear more. If you are trying to save a couple $'s, this might be something to look into.

If you search clutch posts, I'm sure you'll find the info.

I know this might be a stupid question, but where in the clutch pack should the extra plate go? I'm thinking somewhere in the rear of the set?