Sign in to follow this  

2004 crf250r or 2007 YZF250?

Thinking about getting a 250. there is a guy who has two bikes, a 04 crf and a 07 YZF. the YZF looks better but the guy says it has some scratches and he says his crf is a lot more powerful. he also said the crf is set up for a tall person and the YZF is set up for a shorter person. I am 6'2 150. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH BIKES PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER. there are thousands of biased fans out there that will state their color of choice but i want to know facts about the bikes, not opinions.

101_0579.jpg

101_0573.jpg

The crf is cheaper and both bikes have had top ends in the past year. the YZF has been raced too, just new plastics

The YZF is probably going to be a better bike...those Honda's have a bad reputation for valve issues, while the YZF's are extremely reliable.

yzf no question about it:ride: im sure he would love for you to take that 04 crf off his hands:smirk:

i have not road the race bikes but have been on a wr250 and a crf250x basically the same engine as the race bikes . i find the wr has a bit more snap but the crf pulls sooner in the rpm range and has a much smoother power curve. the crf has more power under the curve if that matters. older then 06 Honda's did have top end reliability problems. in the end both great bikes pick the color you like. i would go with the yz because its a lot newer. but the crf being set for a taller person might help you.

dude, do some research. there's posts about this all over TT. Although if the YZF has less power, it might be in need of some motor work, no matter what the PO said

i might of expected that from "yamiryder" and "bluedawg". thats like ktmforlife suggesting you buy a ktm

dude...buy what you want...ride what you want...i dont care one bit...but you asked and im trying to help...im not partial to or married to any brand of bike but i do know what im talking about here with these two as your choice...a tall seat and handlebar risers can be bought for cheap on ebay if thats what you are after but im 6' and never have a problem with stock setups...good luck with your bike you choose...its your money and you are the only one that needs to be happy...3 years difference in year models is a lot to think about:ride:

I think I'm slightly biased toward the Honda because it's cheaper and I ride a 06 yami and hated everything about it. It would seem like the yami would be more reliable but I dont have a problem with maintenance and valve jobs yearly. I'm gonna ride both and see what happens. The yz has a lowering link which obviously could be swapped out but it's just one more thing to do. But the yz looks a lot better.

If he's trying to push you towards one, he probably wants to get rid of that one the most. As a fellow KTM rider, go blue.

My buddy had a blue bike -07, I had a red bike -05.

Normal wearing parts need to be changed during riding.

I had to change valves because intake side valvespring had broken.

It all depents on the overall condition of the bike.

I think both are good.

I have owned both bikes. The CRF valves suck, but if you change them to a harder metal they are equal to the YZ in terms of the frequency for shimming. Both are pretty easy bikes to work on but in my opinion the YZ is slightly more accessible, but checking valves on the CRF is much easier... I probably say that because I had more experience.

The YZ can be scary fast while the CRF is scary when going fast until you dial in the suspension. Overall, I thought the CRF is a more rideable bike.

Depending on your skill level and if you are trying to win races, I'd say go with the YZ. If you want a reliable, forgiving bike that will give you hours of comfortable fun, go with the CRF.