Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible?

Is it possible to take something like a KLR250 and ride it from Utah to So-Cal?

I've been meaning to visit Southern California for 10 years. Haven't been able to afford a car though, or a ride.

Would it be possible to take a mid 90's 250 (or mid 80's 650, whichever's better) dual sport, a tent, $200, and balls of steel and get to California without major mechanical problems, huge fines and citations, stolen motorcycle, etc.?

Anything is possible. Will it run at 75-80 mph? No... but it will get you there.

Well my alternative option would be a Honda Elite 125 :lol:

It's possible to walk to California; plenty of people did it. Either of your options would work fine if you are not in a hurry (why would you be?) and pick your route carefully.

happy motoring

Phil

It's possible to walk to California; plenty of people did it. Either of your options would work fine if you are not in a hurry (why would you be?) and pick your route carefully.

happy motoring

Phil

Thanks for the feedback :lol: I might actually choose the Honda over the DS because of additional MPG and storage space :)

i like the dual sport and tent idea.....but if you want to shed some weight use a bed roll and put your clothes in a bed roll. and i think i would like to have more than 200$ for the oh S*&!^ situations it would be a fun ride thats for sure!!! if i was going to do it i would want to do it on a plated XRR or even a XRL 650

i like the dual sport and tent idea.....but if you want to shed some weight use a bed roll and put your clothes in a bed roll. and i think i would like to have more than 200$ for the oh S*&!^ situations it would be a fun ride thats for sure!!! if i was going to do it i would want to do it on a plated XRR or even a XRL 650

Yeah I would have to strongly agree that a 650 would be better suited. But then that's more gas money needed, more expensive parts, and the ability to cheat (the highway). :lol:

I just wish I had a support vehicle or willing parents....or knew anyone along the route that would help if needed.

A KLR would get you there and back with no issues. Any of the 90's dual sport bikes that are in good mechanical condition will do the job. If you plan on making a true adventure out of it and not just hurrying there and back, you will have a good time on any bike.

A KLR would get you there and back with no issues. Any of the 90's dual sport bikes that are in good mechanical condition will do the job. If you plan on making a true adventure out of it and not just hurrying there and back, you will have a good time on any bike.

Yeah true. My only concern right now is the money. I'll need to find someone to make a website for otherwise I won't have any! :lol:

Also let me know if you see someone in Utah willing to trade their DS for a mid 80's cr :lol:

Yeah I would have to strongly agree that a 650 would be better suited. But then that's more gas money needed, more expensive parts, and the ability to cheat (the highway). :lol:

I just wish I had a support vehicle or willing parents....or knew anyone along the route that would help if needed.

you could tune a 650 to sip less fuel at the cost of power output.

but even my XRR with ligt mods could still get about 125 miles a tank (it was not a stock tank though)

cheating on the highway is the fastest way to burn fuel and cook tires.

granted there may be sections you have to run on the road a few miles at a time to hit gas stations and such.

and like evryone else said you could do it on pretty much any bike, i would just prefer big bore long stroke engines that would hold up better than a high strung 450 engine. even an XR 400 i feel would be up to the challange with no problems

About 10 years ago, we ran across a guy in Moab that had one, COVERED in stickers from all over the US Canada and Mexico. He'd been to Key West, up the Alcan, out to Maine, down to Baja...

The story he told was, he packed his crap after graduation and left on that bike, it was brand new. Every place he stayed for any amount of time, he bought a sticker and put it on the bike. He'd be on ride-about for over 4 years by then.

I don't recall what the odometer reading was, but it was high, and the tires used to be knobbies, but resembled SM rubber.

you could tune a 650 to sip less fuel at the cost of power output.

but even my XRR with ligt mods could still get about 125 miles a tank (it was not a stock tank though)

cheating on the highway is the fastest way to burn fuel and cook tires.

granted there may be sections you have to run on the road a few miles at a time to hit gas stations and such.

and like evryone else said you could do it on pretty much any bike, i would just prefer big bore long stroke engines that would hold up better than a high strung 450 engine. even an XR 400 i feel would be up to the challange with no problems

Yeah I've heard about that. But I would still have to buy the bike itself. And I really can't find a decent DS for ~$500.

It's also cheaper to insure and register the scooter, and most of the scooters I've seen have more or less 6000 miles. Which is quite good for a Honda scooter :lol:

About 10 years ago, we ran across a guy in Moab that had one, COVERED in stickers from all over the US Canada and Mexico. He'd been to Key West, up the Alcan, out to Maine, down to Baja...

The story he told was, he packed his crap after graduation and left on that bike, it was brand new. Every place he stayed for any amount of time, he bought a sticker and put it on the bike. He'd be on ride-about for over 4 years by then.

I don't recall what the odometer reading was, but it was high, and the tires used to be knobbies, but resembled SM rubber.

An Elite!??! No way! He must've just ordered the stickers off ebay and wound up the odo! Haha jk... But that's quite an inspiration! :lol: