Need help picking a vintage MX bike to race

Hi,

I'd like to get into a few vintage mx races for 2012 here in New England with ACR, and am wondering what would be a good choice for the 1975-1977 post vintage and the 1978-1981 evolution classes.

I favor the 125 or 250cc displacements. My first thoughts are the 1977 RM 125/250 for the PV classes and the 1980 yz250 or CR250 for the evo class.

I used to race a 1978 RM125 when they came out, and am partial to that bike, but thought it may give away too much performance to the 1980 models? Are there websites that reviews these bikes or old magazine articles on line to reference? Is the 1978 Husky CR250 a good choice?

Thanks, Joe.

If your partial to a bike why not chose it? I'm not familiar with all the differences between the model years but if you like a certain year why not chose it? The idea of vintage racing, imo, is to race the bikes you first had or bikes that you wanted when you were younger but couldn't afford or whatever. The one member on here has a website that he uploads older magazine articles. He posts the link to them in this forum whenever he uploads a new one.

I fully agree with the other replies,race the bikes that you are into! The jap stuff is a little cheaper.A big part of the vintage deal for me is seeing all the other different bikes and talking to owners who really dig their personal bikes and bike history!Plus at the vintage races Ive been to the race outcome is far more dependent on rider skill than which bike he,s on.The fast guys are always fast no matter what they ride.

i was in the same boat not too long ago. i pryed my old mans 74 YZ125 out of his garage not too long ago and have been getting it ready as i can for the 2012 season. run whatever you fell like. its all about fun. and if the bug hits you like it hit me, you will be looking all those old trick parts to make it even better. half the fun for me so far has been meeting a bunch of vintage buffs and trying to track down those trick parts to make the bike that much better...lol

The 80/81 YZ250 is the best bike for getting into vintage racing. They are plentiful, reliable, easy to work on and parts are readily available. They were also the end of the line for the mono system and are the most refined bike of the time. I would suggest getting one to start out with, then deciding what else interests you and build that next.

I prefer the '81 because it has 43mm forks compared to the 38's on the '80, but don't let that stop you from buying an '80. 43mm Yamaha forks are readily available for cheap.

"the 1975-1977 post vintage and the 1978-1981 evolution classes. "

I am glad to see distinctions being made between true vintage and not. I like the way they have categorized them and it should also apply to all bike in those era's. 78-81 being the oddest in my humble opinion.

If it was me racing in the vintage class, I would run a Suzuki TM250 Champion, CR250M Elsinore for japanese manhufactured bikes. Europeans would be Bultaco 250 Pursang, or a Husky, Maico, and maybe a Penton, (Penton being a mixed breed).

So what did you end up getting.

The 78 RM125 was a plenty fast 125 with good handling. A good working set of shocks. Run stock forks or you can always slip something else into the clamps. I would shorten 83 CR forks and use a Honda front brake. But in the end you are racing against a bunch of fat old guys looking to relive their past. ACR is a good group that seem to take racing just seriously enough.

They also have a Class where you can race anything up to 89. Lots of good bikes avalible cheap for that class too.

I believe this year at some tracks with ACR they run a vintage harescramble on Saturday. I dont know the exact set up with this so check it out on the siteif you are interested

I saw a few good bikes for sale on the swapmeet on the site

If you just love working on bikes, go nuts and rebuild something from the dead. But in the end it works out to be cheaper to buy a bike in good shape already.Do the math,Add your time. and youll see what I mean

I races a 80 and 81 YZ250 back in the day. My primary bike was a Floater RM125. I alway thought the YZ shock was horrific.

• 1 year later...