Sign in to follow this  

yz85 wheel bearing

I picked up a 2003 YZ85 for my sone and noticed the rear wheel bearings where shot. I bought new bearings and pulled the wheel off. The bearing on the snap ring side came apart and the race stayed in the hub. I tried to get the race out and found that it is fused to the inside of the hub. I tried cutting cross hatches in the race and chipping a piece out at a time and came across a piece that is welded to the hub. :lol: I worked the race for over an hour using PB Blaster and all sorts of different things but can not seem to get the race out. Anyone have any ideas ???????? I thought about taking it to work and using a torch to heat it up but afraid the hub will warp or melt. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to get this bike all done by Christmas. I got it as a Christmas gift for him. Thanks.

A little heat should hurt it but dont heat it up a lot. Maybe try usuing a dremel to cut the race out. Make a small slit in the 12 o clock, and 6 o clock position then get a hammer and hit it. Should come out.:lol:

Just be glad its not sterring stem bearings:thumbsup::)

thanks man and god bless!!!!

Alex

I used the dremel and cut "X" in the race and chipped out a few pieces. i will try light heat and see what it does.

sometimes races are a pita. the good thing is they're made of really hard brittle steel so sometimes just a good cold chisel and a real big hammer and get mad at it and you can break it away if it dosent end up coming out first. its an aluminum hub most likely too so the heat will help alot as the aluminum will heat up and expand faster than the steel

i ended up using a butane torch and a small jaw puller attached to a slide hammer. came right out in about 30 pieces and flying at me. Got the new bearings in and all is good. thanks for everyones help.