Sign in to follow this  

13/51?

Hey all, first post and let me say what a great forum!! You guys know alot about the drz ! I have an 03 e been jetted 3x3 + some more holes and a very quiet MRD :lol: my question is, if I run a 13/51 will I need a chain longer than 112links ?? Yeah I pretty much want to climb trees ! They didn't have a 52 in stock and I couldn't pass up paying only $30 for the 51t :)

Wow! I could pull tree stumps with my old 14/49 combo, 13/51 or 52 is out there!!!!

I think the 13 is going to bind/wear the chain, so watch out.....and you might just make it at the 51, but I'm not too confident at 52.

What type of riding do you do?

I do mostly road riding but have a 15/44 set up for that with excel rims, I had 14/47 before and I hardly got it into 3rd gear in the bush, I'll be riding bush, mountains and beach :lol: I don't really care about chewing out the chain as I'm only going to be using it for a max of 500km's a year, and chains are cheap these days, I have a 13 14 and 15 for front so if it's too much poke I'll put the 14 on the front ?

I'm living in Brisbane but will be riding near coffs harbour in NSW :lol: my parents live down there and have a heap of land :) I'll let you know how the sprocket combo goes :banghead:

i have 13/50 and there is no way my 112 link would fit. Buy a 120 link and cut it to fit. I have no binding issues with the 13. You will like it. it great for the woods

Not sure about the length but watch out how small you get that counter sprocket your getting into that trouble area of quick chain wear and counter shaft wear.

My '02 E has been running 13-51 since new. I sold it, but know where it's at and gearing hasn't changed, even when replaced.

i have 13/50 and there is no way my 112 link would fit. Buy a 120 link and cut it to fit. I have no binding issues with the 13. You will like it. it great for the woods

Thanks for the heads up on that.....15/48 works with a 112 link chain, so I figured 13/51 would be just on the money...:lol:

114 link chain should be sufficient :-)

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

I'm living in Brisbane but will be riding near coffs harbour in NSW :lol: my parents live down there and have a heap of land :) I'll let you know how the sprocket combo goes :banghead:

Ok ..I am on the Northside of Brisbane at Narangba.....What burb are u?

I'm on southside, sunny bank, originally my bike was from caboolture, then it went out to dulacca (near Roma) I got a 7 hour bus ride out there picked it up and road home with 14/47 gearing and nobbys, not the best ride in my life :lol:

I'm on southside, sunny bank, originally my bike was from caboolture, then it went out to dulacca (near Roma) I got a 7 hour bus ride out there picked it up and road home with 14/47 gearing and nobbys, not the best ride in my life :banghead:

Yeah ..It would not have been the most pleasurable ride ....

several hours of near 7,000rpm at 100km/h on knobby's....your butt must have been feel'in it...:lol::)

sure was..... not to mention getting blown off the road due to the road trains..... and didnt take cold gear so the T bar range was a little cold at 10pm :bonk:

sure was..... not to mention getting blown off the road due to the road trains..... and didnt take cold gear so the T bar range was a little cold at 10pm :banana:

Yeah..It does get cold on the Toowoomba Range...

I am glad I have a Toyota Hiace van for bike transport....Roughly once a month I would have 2 day Road Race meeting at Morgan Park( Warwick)and the occasional track day .... the van is very handy for transporting and storing the bike overnite..:bonk:

Here is a bit of footage from a track day..It was cold in the morning and most the guys were taking it easy...:smirk:

HA! i liked the vid but what was that red thing that took you about 7 mins in ? Cool vid, id post some pics up of my bike and stuff i just dont have a photo bucket account yet :bonk: ill get one soon enough !