Sign in to follow this  

2005 KLX-125 Carb question

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I promise I did some due diligence to see if there were any previous threads that would help to answer my questions, but didn't seem to see much.

I have a low time 2005 KLX-125. I've taken the carb apart 3 times. Before doing so I gave it a new spark plug and fresh air filter and fresh oil change. Each time I have taken the carb off, and opened it and cleaned it, it seems to run a little better than before. Initially, the problem was it would dump fuel out of the overflow when I first cranked it. Then it started doing so once I shut it down, but that seems to have stopped now. The big problem is that it bogs down when you try to run it and really open the throttle up. It will get up to speed if you don't ask much from the throttle all at once. It runs great except for this carb issue. I realize it's probably either starving for fuel or getting too much. I know just about enough to be dangerous on this carb thing. All the parts seems to look pretty good, but I realize that there's probably something in the carb that needs replacing.

If someone wouldn't mind giving me some opinion on what to replace, I would really appreciate it. Here's a link to the diagram off of Motosport.com. http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/2005/KLX125/CARBURETOR

Thank you for your input!

This overflow thing sounds like you may have a stuck or mis-adjusted float and/or a sticking float valve (just the tiniest speck of sand can do the darnedest things in a carb). That can lead to your bogging problems.

Also maybe think about cleaning the jets with jet reamers/cleaners, or just replace 'em.

sounds like the main jet is clogged. THe main jet gives you throttle the poliet jet is your idle.

PLEASE HELP

i know this is a little off topic but help me please

I have a similar problem i bought a 2006 klx 125 a while back (maybe 2 or 3 months) it was wrecked pretty bad exhaust and mount broken off i have repaired it and re attached the exhaust making the overall exhaust shorter and custom mounting it upside down and it ran like a little beast started first or second kick. but i let it sit for 3 days now it wont start. it leaks gas out the overflow tube ONLY when being kicked. i drained the gas put fresh in, changed the spark plug, checked valve clearances, cleaned and recleaned the carb. adjusted the float shut off rubber needle thing (and it helped a little with the gas leaking). and checked and cleaned the air filter. im going to try to check timing chain slack. it will start but has to be pushed down a hill and play with the throttle till it goes. even when warm it wont start it runs once started but wont high rev and cuts out. i am at a loss im trying to fix it up for my little brother i got a new tire for it and fixed the clutch i dont know whats up with it it seems to be flooding and gets to lean or something at higher RPM. it never really idled only when cold did it idle i run only premium and do regular oil changes. i did run some 2 stroke gas about 50:1 ratio (1996 RM 250 blew up :*(    ) Thank you for reading and i appreciate the help. 

My nephew in law's 2006 KLX 125 has had fuel leaking out of the overflow for some time.  The bike will start up ok, first kick with a bit of throttle and sometimes needing to push the choke all the way down and it didn't want to idle with the choke off.  

Took the carb apart twice to clean all the jets.  All were clean but for the one jet that I have now found out is the PILOT JET.  The one with the smallest hole where the $3.95 carb needle kit I bought, didn't have a needle small enough to fit into the jet to get whatever stuff was clogging the hole, out. 

I had soaked the jet in carb cleaner overnight and all the next day.  Prior to that I had used a propane torch to try and burn whatever was in the jet, out.  

I took  a bread tie, burned the plastic off, and worked it in and out of the jet and miracle of miracles, cleared the jet.  

I also took the time to scrape all the varnish/residue from the float bowl and all its surfaces what I think was any combination of water, what looked like antifreeze and two stroke oil as it seemed that people had been putting whatever was laying around in the garage, into the fuel tank and it had all settled in the bowl and now have it about as clean as it is going to get. 

All the crud must have been getting loose from not having cleaned it all out and it just keeps on clogging the pilot jet up as the hole is so small.  At least we now know how easy it is getting the carb off as all we need are pliers to get the hose clamps off the fuel line and a phillips screwdriver to get the airbox clamps off, and, oh yeah, a small screwdriver for the pilot jet.  

I'm sure that the bike won't be leaking out the overflow anymore and will now idle like it used to.