Sign in to follow this  

10 450 xc-w vs 09 505 xc-f

ive done a search here and cant find any comparisons between these 2. any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

I ride a 505

The 505 is more of a racer with the RF4 engine (dual cam). The 450 is more of a trail bike with the XC4 engine (single cam).

505 power comes on early,strong and is relentless. It revs to the moon and still creates power. 450 will be much more gentle

505 has 5 speed 450 has 6

505 has the closed chamber forks. 450 has open chamber.

I believe the 505 is lighter than the 450.

What are you looking to do with the bike?

mostly long hill climbs and technical rocky stuff. i have an 05 450 exc that i have moded, its ok , i could use more power. that one is real tired, its time for me to put 'em down.

I really like my 505. It is a hill climbing fool. I also take it on single track without a problem. You will like the wieght of the 505 over your 450 in the technical stuff. The motor is just so much more fun than the XC-W and the old RFS motors. It is almost 2 stroke like in its response but with more lowend and broader range of power.

505 - 238 lbs w/o fuel bone stock. No lights, no ODO, no lighting coil, no kickstart. Super fast and responsive. Harsh suspension (almost the same as the SX-F). Great reliable motor. No reliablity issues. Edgy.

450 - 260lbs w/o fuel bone stock. No light, yes ODO, yes lighting coil, yes kickstarter (and electric). Soft (open chamber) suspension. Great smooth motor (not a beast like the 505 but very smooth and plenty of power). Two oil capacities with some internet banter about inner seal failure and oil transfer from one side to the other. I'm pretty sure that is a thing of the past. Great trail bike.