Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150RB adult mods

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 expert and was wondering what do I need to do in order to make it adult "friendly. I saw many posts with scattered information and sometimes contradicting so really need some help in getting some information all in one place. I am 5"6 and weigh 165lbs in gear.

Note: I am a novice and struggle when I read technical parts terms :lol:, so any specific brands and models of what I need would be great.

I know about re-springing front and rear suspension, but that's about it.

Many thanks in advance

Not just repringing, but valving as well. A top clamp that moves the bars forward. Higher less sweep bars, and wider pegs.

Fastway footpegs (lets you lower the footpegs by about 1/2 inch) fly upper triple clamp (allow the bars to be pushed forward, away from you giving you more room). Guts tall seat foam(they are one of the only companys that currently makes taller seat foam, i have foam from bbr. I would not recommend it. VERY soft, so by the time you settle into the couch its about as tall as stock seat foam.) Your not tall, but you are on the bigger side for this bike. Do these mods, along with suspension and you will be very happy. Good luck!

Tom

I am the same height and weight as you. A slightly taller bar helps, as does lowering and moving back the pegs.

Shifter question: Large (adult-sized) boots have a hard time getting under the stock shifter, and if you move it up on the splines, it hits the CS cover.

If you move the pegs down/back, this will no longer be an issue. The Fastway pegs will not move the pegs down enough to matter much. I found that I had to cut the peg mounts off the frame and weld them back on 1" lower. This made a noticeable difference in comfort, especially sitting.

No matter what you do, the bike is still far too short-coupled to be comfortable when you are standing up....it's made for children, not adults. You just have to put up with the issues this brings because otherwise it is a sweet dirt bike.

Naw... I'm 5'5, and I have a 150R as well. I'd get Cannon Racecraft, or Race Tech springs. I'd get 5.8/.34 spring rates for your weight. Have somebody who does suspension in your area revalve the shock and forks to the new spring rates, and install the new springs for you.

Other than the suspension, and YZ250 shifter-- which is new knowledge to me, I'd run the dog gone thing bone stock. If something arises that annoys you-- address it at that point. I'd like to put the YZ shifter on my own bike-- what year works? --L*64

The front forks are to soft for .34's, I'm 155 lbs and use .40's, but could go .42's and at least 6.0 in the rear. The rear linkage ratio tends make softer compared to the CR85 link.

Thanks guys,

The bike I bought already has raised bars and a fat protaper on it. Also has wider footpegs than stock.

Regarding the YZ shifter, which one should I get? Any particular year model or any will do?

About the suspension I did Racetech and MX-Tech calculators and got different results :bonk:, so will email k-tech to get a third view on it. Then I can send it to revalve and re-spring accordingly.

Great stuff, thanks guys.