OEM vs Vertex vs Pro-X ??

So I need a new piston for my cylinder to get re-plated I want to run a CAST piston as wiseco's have just given me problems.?

My question is what is the differences between Vertex ( besides the coating) OEM and Pro-x

I am leaning towards the Vertex as it is heat treated? But are they all heat treated ?

Dose the coating cause any issues ?

THIS IS NOT A CAST VS FORGED THREAD PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT ONE !!!!

I WANT TO RUN A CAST AND I AM AWARE I WILL BE CHANGING THE PISTONS OUT AT 40HOURS

For Japanese bikes, Pro-X and OEM are then same. Pro-X makes the pistons for Jap bikes. I’ve not used Vertex, yet. But I do have a Namura piston kit for my DRZ waiting to be installed whenever I get into the garage to install it!! Hope it works as well as OEM.

Edited by youngztr

For Japanese bikes, Pro-X and OEM are then same. Pro-X makes the pistons for Jap bikes. I’ve not used Vertex, yet. But I do have a Namura piston kit for my DRZ waiting to be installed whenever I get into the garage to install it!! Hope it works as well as OEM.

have done any research on the namura product ?

Pro-X does NOT make OEM pistons. Pro-X buys their OEM-replacement pistons from ART, the same company that makes the OEM pistons for all of the Japanese manufacturers.

I keep reading about folks who break pistons??? What do you guys do to your pistons?? I’ve recreationally ridden two and four stroke bikes for 150 to 200 hours before changing an OEM piston. Even in my KX250. I’ve run the same OEM piston in a KDX 220 since the cylinder was replated. Its on its 3rd set of OEM rings and still going strong. I don’t know, do you guys install the piston with a hammer and a pair of pliers or something?

Sorry OP, just couldn’t resist!! But you’ve already bought a good piston for your bike. Happy trails.

I think proper warm up is a good way to make a piston last. If you start it and rev the crap out of it before its warmed up dont expect your piston to last very long. Not saying the OP does that but ive seen it every time I go to the track or trails. Then they go on the internet saying that such and such brand is crap. Ive used cast and forged pistons, Wiseco, Pro-X and oem. Had the same success with all of them.

• Like 1