Sign in to follow this  

Which OIL FILTER TO USE???????????

This is a list of filters that fit the XR400. Of those, I've used the HiFlo, Wix, Tusk and Emgo. Most are about $3 a piece and very similar to one another. I order from Rocky Mountain, The TT Store or other online retailers and buy 6 at a time.

Fram CH6015

HiFlo HF112

Wix 24944

Purolator ML16815

Napa PS4944

Tusk TK112

Neutron 1245540002

Emgo 10-99200

K&N KN112

Baldwin P7132

I've been using the Tusk filter for a couple of years now. Fits my daughters 110 as well.

I have used the tusk one also. TrailRyder, thanks for that list and info, I imagine that of those 4 that you listed that you use they are all paper filters? What do you think about the reusable K&N filter? Kind of scary in my mind!

Edited by XL100allnightlong
mistake

I have used the tusk one also. TrailRyder, thanks for that list and info, I imagine that of those 4 that you listed that you use they are all paper filters? What do you think about the reusable K&N filter? Kind of scary in my mind!

Yes, they're the paper element type.

If the K&N is a screen filter, I don't see it filtering as well as a paper element. And then, it seems to me, you'd have to be thorough and careful in your cleaning of it so that you don't contaminate the output side of the filter with the filth from the input side.

The others are too cheap NOT to drop in a new filter during every oil change.

This is a list of filters that fit the XR400. Of those, I've used the HiFlo, Wix, Tusk and Emgo. Most are about $3 a piece and very similar to one another. I order from Rocky Mountain, The TT Store or other online retailers and buy 6 at a time.

Fram CH6015

HiFlo HF112

Wix 24944

Purolator ML16815

Napa PS4944

Tusk TK112

Neutron 1245540002

Emgo 10-99200

K&N KN112

Baldwin P7132

Thanks for the list. You really should gather up a bunch of these posts and make a FAQ II or add it a page to the FAQ.

The HiFlo air filter for my CB750 had the tab spacer on the wrong side. I lost confidence in them over that. As I remember RockyMountainMC pulled the Tusk aluminum handlebars off the market for a while after they were bending like soldering wire. (Mine lasted 2 rides, tipped over while stopping.)

The downside of a really cheap oil filter is if it fails, it can block the main oil passage. But I wouldn't be surprised to find out "Honda oil filters" are made in the same plant as some aftermarket filters. I've only used Honda oil filters. This post reminds me I need to order a few of them. The only way to buy them is online, a few at a time (shipping costs.) Don't forget to order crush washers for the two oil bolts. (Look for an auto parts source for them.)

The downside of a really cheap oil filter is if it fails, it can block the main oil passage.
Since I found out where to look, all the motos I've checked have oil filter bypass circuits, so a blockage isn't as bad as you might think. The oil will go around the filter avoiding catastrophic failure, but it does not get filtered, so some damage may ensue.

Another problem with cheap filters is that the filter does not trap the fine material that can then get into the cam and/or crank bearings.

OEM for me, no matter the cost. I buy at ServiceHonda.com in quantity and save a little on shipping per/each.

Same principle applies to air filters. I could see through every aftermarket air filter I checked. OEM is the only way I go.

(In days of yore, I bought into the high-flow and increased power of aftermarket air filters, but in my sage and sane older days, I stick with OEM.)

/off soapbox