Sign in to follow this  

engine problem

I was riding a wheelie on my 05 rmz 450 and when i shifted from 3rd to 4th my engine made a horrible grinding sound, it done it until my bikes engine stopped completly. it still shifts fine, clutch works fine but it doesnt feel right when you kick it over and im sure it wont run. the sound was like a chain slipping on a cog or like 2 gears in the trans slipping. it has maybe 1 hour on the top end,valves were adjusted last week and timing chain was tight, im thinking blown crank or trans issue.

i have a 2006 rmz 450. i will do my best to help you. i would recomend drain and take a close look at oil and filter to look for signs of metal. i would even go as far as taking off the head off and examining the cams and chain.

a seized motor could be several things wrong.

I would do a complete tear down and find the problem, If something did start "Grinding" there is a more than likely metal shavings/dust throughout the entire engine and you will need to clean it out completely.. just my .02

i know, and its coming apart this week, i was just trying to get an idea of what people thought it was. ive never had a 450 case apart so idk what to expect though.

dont get scared ... get a manual and its like paint by numbers since suzukis manuals are so detailed. Go to your local shop to get the flywheel pulled , or buy the puller its $25 on ebay. Get a case puller set from tusk , i got mine for $50 and a crank puller/installer for the same. A good torque wrench is a must.

Have some fun with it and you will learn a ton about how your bike works.

well i took the head off and turns out an intake valve snapped off then the piston beat it back into the head sideways, it also put a hole in my almost new wiesco piston. one thing that i think is odd is that i had the shop adjust my valves 2 days before this happened. the one that broke was the one they shimmed..

when you had mentioned that you just recently had work on the top end, I knew the engine failure would be related to the top end.

so you gona go see the shop and ask for compensation or just order new parts and fix it ?

well i done the top end myself and i know it was done right because i had someone that knows these bikes very well help me. i had a shop shim the valve that broke but i know i wont get anything out of that. i guess ill just save my money and buy a new head and piston..

i found a really good deal on a used head, now im about to put some kibblewhite valves in it. i dont want to drop another 200 on a wiesco.. i can get a pro x piston with gaskets for 100 bucks, are they any good in these bikes? ive ran one in my grizzly 660 for over a year with no problems.

Edited by twoyotas86

Go with the best deal on piston kit, If you replace valves with anything other than Ti, you will need to replace the springs/retainers.

I've repaired numerous RMZ 450's...my take on the valve failure is coincidence or valve/seat was already in trouble before shimming.

so do you think i should buy new valves or keep mine? the new head has 3 valves already in it, he just took one out.

maybe the valve needed shimming because it was already stretching/falling apart.

make sure to check your conrod/crankshaft bearings.

so do you think i should buy new valves or keep mine? the new head has 3 valves already in it, he just took one out.

You should determine what valve type/condition to start. Next check seat and guide condition and always replace valve seals when apart. If the remaining valves are in good condition, just purchase one valve to complete. You might want to take to a shop for their 'Professional' opinion.