Sign in to follow this  

1994- shifter shaft causing clutch cover not to line up?

anybody have a clue why my shift shaft is saying "F you clutch cover"

i tried pulling it from the shifter side and tapping it from the clutch side and it still wants to be in the way

IMG_20111209_080432.jpg

IMG_20111209_080628.jpg

IMG_20111209_080610.jpg

is it possible to put either one of the shifter springs on wrong causing it to be further towards the clutch side?

BTW both the gasket surfaces are flat

With the several KDX motors I've rebuilt, I always had a problem with getting the shift shaft to play nice with the clutch cover. The problem is little collar that nests inside the spring-loaded brackets on the shift shaft. This collar gets misaligned in the bracket that "floats" on the shaft and doesn't allow the assembly to seat all the way toward the shifter side. It is hugely frustrating, because it looks like everything is all lined up and no matter how many times you pull and reinstall the clutch cover, it won't seat the last two millimeters.

Slide the shift shaft out a little ways and get that collar centered in the "floating" bracket and you'll be golden.

• Like 1

ive never had a problem with the shift shaft at that location. its always been the locating dowl not allowing the cover to seat correctly. i actually cracked a cover because i didnt notice it. in order for the two to come together correctly, you have to seat the cover evenly.

dfeckel was dead on... i just got it together an hour ago.... it's amazing the amount of olts you loose when you clean in the middle of a project.